Can GERD cause asthma?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've never had asthma before or the GERD problems before they seem like they came at the same time so I'm assuming they're connected.

This is horrible! I'm almost afraid to eat! I've been avoiding milk and that seems to help a lot but holy moly this stinks!

Does anyone else have issues with their GERD and breathing? What do you do?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes. When I have a flare up I get asthma symptoms too. Once the ppi's kick in the 'asthma' goes. I find I get a lot of mucus during exercise too. In my opinion it's not actually asthma, as the inhaler generally doesn't ease the symptoms. I pretty much drink gaviscon at the first sign of breathing difficulties now and it works way better than the inhalers do. I get all sorts of weird aches, pains and swellings which appear to be down to gerd as a swig of gavsicon foxes them all. Took me a long time to realise that tho! Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

Thank you! I'll have to try the anti acid thing. Mine seems to happen when I drink dairy or feel full.

• Posted

I reckon the asthma symptoms are because of gerd, have you had all the normal investigations. Endoscope, PH test? My doc increased my meds - somac twice a day along with motillium. My symptoms are mainly in the throat now, the increased meds have maybe made s slight difference, but will try eating even less and see how I go.
    • Posted

No I have not. I had the globus sensation and went to an ENT who told me it was GERD. I also now have slower digestion. I've always had bad acid reflux so I'm not surprised. I never even heard of GERD until that ENT told me. But it seems this "asthma" came at the same time the globus and everything else came. I've never had breathing issues before so I feel like it may be related?

Who knows anymore lol

• Posted

Maybe time to see a Gastro doc for investigation and maybe go on meds for reflux to see if this helps
    • Posted

I take Prevacid now but I think I should go see one too. Thank ya!
  • Posted

Hi, I have problems breathing etc with my h.h I geta feeling of irritation down middle chest and where ribs meet. Tbis makes me constantly cough and I have lots of clear mucus at times. Does anyone else get this feeling of irritation there and can h.h. and reflux mine is silent reflux mostly do this. I also feel my breath sticks in solar plexus. Do have mucus in throat but the chest mucus makes me cough
    • Posted

I feel like I wanna cough too and have clear mucus. It almost feels like sometimes that I used my lungs too much or not enough. It's crazy.

• Posted

I have finally found that my allergy and phelgm problems are much

better if i sleep upright and eat nothing within two hours of going to

bed/chair. That is in addition to following the diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.