Can Helicobacter pylori be misdiagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been having problems with my stomach for the last 5 years. Been on ppi-s (pantoprazole) on and off but I' m mostly taking H2 blockers. I've done 2 biopsies on my stomach and no urea breath test. My endoscopy revealed a small hiatus hernia, gerd stage/level 1 and chronic gastritis. I used to have erosive gastritis 2 times but two weeks on ppi (40 mg in the morning) and I don't feel the pain anymore, it seems that I heal pretty quickly.

I still think that I might be having Helicobacter pylori. The reason I think I have it is because I have a "good" genetics when it comes to stomach. No one from my family - ancestors has ever had GI- disorders whatsoever. I've checked it down to the year 1870 (I luckily have all the info xd). Second thing is I'm not an anxious person really. Also, I have gerd because of frequent-chronic burping. I don't have heartburn unless I burp. The gerd is not a problem really but the gastritis is. I also feel that once my stomach lining heals the burping goes away.

What are your opinions, should I do an urea test to see if the biopsy (which is 99% accurate) misdiagnosed my helicobacter 2 times?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I had been getting stomach problems for years I must of had about 4 endoscopies over the years but they did not find anything but I got poorly again and. Had another camera in my stomach and they found the hyplori this time.It also did not show up in my stool test.i would ask for a breath test or the camera again hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for the response! I mean this is awful, how is it possible that they didn't find it? I will definetly go for an urea test as soon as I get of my antacids
    • Posted

I'm not sure how they miss it but they did with me hope you get sorted and get an answer soon it's not nice been in pain all the time.
    • Posted

One more question if that's ok. The previous gastroscopies where they didn't find the bug, did they take samples and sent them to the lab?
    • Posted

Hi yes they did take samples and did not find it but this time they found the hpylori.
  • Posted

Yes,you need blood test to confirm, what I didn't realise is that you can have more than one flare up good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.