Can hemorrhoids affect stool shape?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Okay so for about two years now I think I have what I believe to be hemorrhoids. I can see visible lumps upon inspection of my own bottom. Theu definitely appear to be hemorrhoids but I haven't had that confirmed by a doctor.

Symptoms I experience:

Sensation of pressure in the anus.

Some itchiness.

Can feel a lump when wiping.

Feel like it takes more effort to poo. (like I have to push harder, even though stool is soft) 

Never experienced pain or bleeding. 

The main thing I want to know is whether or not hemorrhoids can affect the shape of your stool? My stools appear to be normal shaped and thickness but then towards the end they thin out and become pointy. Also look at the texture towards the end it looks as though something is scraping up against the stool. Could hemorhoids be the cause of this? I read that colon cancer is the cause of thinner stools, but my stools are normal thickness it's just when it gets 3 quarters of the way, it begins to get narrower. And I'm in my early twenties so although cancer is a possibility, it's very unlikely. 

I just wondered if anyone had one had any knowledge on this?

thanks smile

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you had any updates JakeWoods?

I have the same feeling as you, a ball that feels like its flattening my stools.

Mine started after some stress and has not gone since.

Wish you luck

• Posted

Hi Jake,

Any update on your situation?

• Posted

I wouldn't say any updates.

I still have some problems down there. the feeling of having a tennis ball stuck in my rectum has lessened, I'm almost certain it is hemorrhoid /pelvic muscle tension related. There was a time when I was so anxious over it that I thought it was cancer. Obviously it cant be cancer otherwise I would be really ill by now.

I still have some issues, like after going for a number 2 I find it hard to clean myself properly. I still have hemorrhoids and I think thats whats making it harder. It's like I will clean myself, but then after say like half an hour, it will feel like I need to clean it again.

• Posted

Man after reading this thread I dont feel so alone!

I was diagnosed celiac last January after a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Doc noted that i had some minor irritation in places an internal hemmorhoid and a small benign polyp that was removed. i was using fiber provided by my primary care provider and found it easy to pass stools. which i still do for the most part but often have flat stools with a groove. colon cancer is almost ruled out during colonoscopy and more rare than common in our age group (im 31)... so im assuming i may have the condition you are all referencing! it never really occurred to me to think the muscles could be an issue... but i dont have pain or any other really strange symptoms. i did around 3 of those tests that test for cancer dna in your stool last year, all came back negative. i might mention that my ability to urinate in a straight/single stream is limited to barely ever! this condition is getting checked out thursday so ill post results for anyone interested.

thank you all for sharing your experiences, it puts me somewhat at ease

• Posted

Hey, its Thursday. Any news. I think, it is more scary than threatening. Just something about shape of the anal opening. And it could be "deformed" if some blood vessels enlarged. Do you have stress and squeeze your butt? Try to notice something like that.

• Posted

Jake,

I practically have no more pain in there. In the rare cases when I do, I do "internal work" as I mentioned before and now I can go long time with no pain. I can stand for long time with no pain. I try not to squeeze pelvis. Stools are still flat when they smaller. And I always use baby wipes after #2. As you mentioned, cleaning could be an issue. Also, if not clean properly, irritation can happen. And this real sign of hemorrhoids. One of the recommendations for hemorrhoids sufferers is to wash after every #2. So, I have baby wipes in every bathroom, in the car, at work. It works! An no squeeze. And ... no excessive sex/masturbation.

• Posted

i have same symptoms as u

is it cured now ?

if yes then what was it and what did u do.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Has anyone ever passed large amounts of mucus? For the past month I have had abnormal poops (soft and loose) with lots of mucus. Sometimes I feel the urge to go poop and the only thing I pass is mucus? I also have grooved, flat poop and intermittent blood (bright red). It's gotten better over the last week but still there. I had the poop tested and came back negative (not sure what they tested for). No itching or pain and I did have a full colonscopy 2 years ago that came back clean. It is so strange and I feel sometimes I might lose control.

• Posted

Mucus and urge - stress, anxiety. Sounds correct?

Bright blood - hemorrhoids.

Flat poop - looks like we all here have it and this is why we're here. Probably related to some hemorrhoidal process.

• Posted

Hi there. I have the stools with a flat or indented on one side like others have mentioned. I've had it before but then it went back to normal but since getting the flu 6 weeks ago...It's back. I did lots of sitting and laying around, zero exercise and barely ate anything for a week. It's itchy around anus and sore after I pass stools for a while. I'm thinking it sounds like hemorrhoids...can see a small skin coloured lump on outside but not sure if that would be one or not. No blood at all. I feel like I'm straining when i go to the toilet even if its soft and like there's pressure there. I'm having extra fibre which helps some and putting coconut oil on what I think could be a hemorrhoid but i barely exercise. My naturopath doctor says it sounds like hemorrhoids. But I worry that it could be something worse. Does this sound like hemorrhoids to you and how long do they take to get better?

• Posted

I also suffer with anxiety and have a LOT of stress at the moment.

• Posted

@bea03578 Hii

i completely relate to your symptoms and understand the exact feeling .

You might wanna consider it as anal fissure turned out into a sentinel skin tag or sentinel pile Which is not exactly a hemmaroid but most common and seems like hemmaroid. It is just a anal skin tag which pops out. So you might want to get it confirm first cause hemmaroids cause blood in the stool almost every time you poop. Let me know if it helps. Take care

• Posted

Hello, I am new here and I am 19 years old. I had been dealing with this problem for a few weeks now. I have had normal stool shape that eventually turns thinner. Along with that there is a very small amount of mucus and a streak indent on one side of the stool that goes about 3 inches down or so. I also noticed small white dots in my stool, and every once in awhile like every 4 days there is a small amount of blood. Im not to sure what is going on. if someone could help that would be great.

• Posted

After reading some of your comments I feel I may have some

of these same issues. Stool comes out almost a rectangle shape with grooves on the side. I have a family history of colon problems. Not cancer but Spastic colon and Ulcerative colitis. I dont have much diarrhea very often but do get constipated off and on. I had a serious bout with it for about a week and a half recently. My primary care physician told me to take miralax and ducolax combined and it gave me diarrehea. After that was finished I started on benefiber to try and get me more regular. I think it has helped some but not with the flat stools with grooves. Oh and by the way I dont have any blood in my stool. Doctor checked my stool and did bloodwork with both coming out clean. He said no cancer. It still has me worried though as I am a hypocondriac. My question is for a few of you that were talking about CPPS. I looked up symptoms and I saw perinium pain when urinating as a symptom along with frequent urination at night. Ive had both of these over the yrs. This is the first I have heard of it. Are these other symptoms with the stool also a sign of cpps. This would make sense for me if true.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.