Can hyperthyroidism come and go?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had really fast metabolism my whole life. I can eat and eat but never really gain weight. If external reasons cause me to only eat once a day (stress/pain/medication) I drop weight fast. Before my spine surgery I was 97 pounds, I should be 115. Other symptoms I get off and on heart palpitations, shaky hands, muscle twitches all over body, anxiety/irritability, low blood sugar symptoms (dizzy when standing, almost passing out and seeing stars), leg pains that come and go, vision problems, insomnia (tired all the time but can never sleep), hives and itchy spots under the skin, very enlarged glands (today I started choking when trying to take morning meds). I am recovering from cervical spine surgery still (7 months; arm went paralyzed for 3 days after surgery and have dealt with extreme nerve issues in hands and arms, numbness/buzzing, pain and dropping things), have frequent migraines and horrible allergies (started allergy shots). When I had the last MRI before spine surgery they noticed enlarged thyroid. I have had a bunch of blood work over the last 6 years but nothing has looked abnormal. I have been tested for everything they can think of and most recently MS but nothing fits. So all my symptoms have been excused away as the neck injury/nerve damage, migraines and allergies. I'm getting frustrated as these symptoms are still present and I have no answers. I have scheduled blood work for tomorrow to recheck again. This is one thing they have not suggested. I was shocked when I read the symptoms today and how many that I have that relate. I am also bring in the list of symptoms with times/dates of symptoms occurring. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I want to add something I just came across. Both my surgeon and my pain Dr don't think the nerve issues (Peripheral Neuropathy) I have is completley related to my injury/surgery on my neck. Some of my nerve issues are in the legs and feet. I just did a quick search and found a link to Graves and Peripheral Neuropathy. Now I'm really stunned about all the connections and even more frusterated my 4 Dr's (Ortho, Neuro, Pain and Primary) have not made the connection. Am I on the right tract?
  • Posted

Hello Mamashark:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's which makes me hypothyroid, and I have had it since 1987.  I know both sides of the disease pretty well.

I read your post.  Hyperthyroidism can come from the pituitary gland in the brain and also from nodules that can cause it to go too high or too low. Another way is a family trait, or a virus that caused damage to it. It can also come from cancer, Lupus, and Diabetes.

Hyperthyroidism causes too much thyroxine in your blood. Too much is not good. The thyroid helps the heart, and meatbolism, and our core temp. It also helps us have our periods. It does a lot.

When you have too much hormone you can see symptoms like: feeling HOT, sweating, feeling anxious, nervousness, losing weight fast, eye bulging, heavy periods, shaking/tremors, insomnia. There are more these are common ones.

You have some mixed symptoms.  Some do not fit with Hyperthyroid.  So here is what they should do:

#1- Check for TPOA thyroid antibodies.   ANA direct antibodies test also.

#2- Check your T4 level, if your are having too much thyroxine.

#3- Check TSH, and T3 level (liothyronine)

#4- Vit D level - it is a special test and can cause problems in our bodies.

#5-Check blood glucose for Diabetes.

#6-Cortisol (blood ) level

Also since the thyroid is a gland and is enlarged get an ultrasound to see if it has nodules in it.

Nerves run all over the place in our neck in our spine and legs. Nerves take time to heal, and they can feel like a burning and numbness and tingle. As they heal from compression they hurt and it feels like electrical pulses. It can take over a year to fully heal.

Yes, log your symptoms, some match, and ask them for an EKG to see how your heart rate and pattern is beating. See a Cardiologist also.

I hope you can get them to do the above tests, keep me posted on how you do.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

They called with my results yesterday evening and said everything was normal except my potassium was really high. The nurse said not to take or eat anything with extra potassium and recheck in two week. Because I was really stumped and wanted to see everything they tested. I went to get my results this morning. I found that non of the T levels were actually check last Oct. They only tested TSH (1.030 uIU/ml) and T4, Free direct (1.41 ng/dL). As for the rest of the blood tests done, they look standard like the CBC and minerals. The only other thing that was off was Alkaline being low (35 IU/L). The potassium was (5.4 mmol/L). So I'm kind of discouraged as the potassium could explain the palpitations and maybe a little of the muscle/nerve issues but not much else.
    • Posted

Hello Mamashark:

I just got notcie of your reply.  This website did not send an e-mail to me when it was posted and only today did I get it.Sorry for the delay.

If your potassium is high, your heart can be bothered by it. Potassium is a needed mineral but we need it to be 3.3 to 5.0 in the body and if it goes high you can see palpitations and funny beats.

If it goes too low you can get bad cramps in legs and heart rate will slow. It can also cause nerve pain.

The rest of your tests seem okay  TSh is okay at 1.030  and T4 at 1.41 is okay and in range.

So yes, bring down the potassium and watch any foods with high potassium such as citrus foods.

Again sorry for the delay.

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly

Like I said I had my Dr apt yesterday. They ordered my bloodwork and added some other things to the list you stated. She said it will help rule in or out possibilities. They also did a EKG in the office. The test showed irregular heart beats. So they want a stress test done too. Also ordered an ultrasound of my throat/neck. A few things she noted. It felt like both lymph nodes and thyroid are swollen. Like I mentioned I had cervical spine surgery last June. The incision site has also been randomly irritated the last few days, hasn't been like that since the incision healed. So she also is trying to rule out a random infection though I show no other signs of one. 

I had a thought today about a possible allergy to titanium. I looked into after surgery as I have a titanium plate and this is about when my symptoms went from dismiss-able to concerning. In my early 20's. I got my belly button pierced with a titanium ring. My body basically rejected it and it got horribly infected. It was like my body was slowly pushing it out as it tried to heal. The two days leading up to the "flair-up" I'm having now. I started to use self tanning lotion. So I looked at the ingredients and what do you know it has titanium. So now I'm really left wonder if the titanium is somehow linked. I have stopped using it to see if my symptoms start to decrease. Maybe this is some type of autoimmune response to it. As soon as I get my tests back I will post.

• Posted

Hello Mamashark:

I would remove any foreign objects like the piercings for safe measure right now. 

A stress test is wise, I once had it done.  It will show the health of your heart.  It is a very good test and it is good to have it done.

I also agree looking for any infection. Also get an allergy test done, we can develop allergies as we get older.

Please let me know and I will PM you my e-mail since the website has been acting up for me lately.

If lymph nodes are swollen it could be an infection or an autoimmune problem.

Shelly

• Posted

So the good news and bad news. My primary Dr and I have been able to narrow it down to the titanium plate. He said he thinks I have been going in and out of anaphylaxis since my surgery. The only thing that has kept me from a full blown attack is the amount of antihistamines I take on a daily. Most of which I take for the mysterious "allergic reactions symptoms"; hives, very swollen face and sinus issues. When paired with my high potassium he thinks my kidneys are becoming affected in addition to muscles, nerves and nervous system. Now I just need the MELISA test to confirm. If it is the metal implant I already know it's going to be a fight with the Ortho who did the surgery. My Ortho has blamed all of my pain on anxiety. In the beginning I questioned possibly having a titanium allergy because I was covered in hives, labored breathing and my hair was falling out in clumps for the first 1.5 months. His response was "impossible". My PC Dr said to discontinue using or ingesting anything containing titanium dioxide. Up until now I didn't realize how much of it is in the everyday of life. Thank you again so very much for the quick response you gave me. My husband has a really stressful job and I hate telling him my medical issues.
    • Posted

Hello Mamashark:

Well at least you found this out.  So in a way this is good news. Anaphylaxis is very serious and thank God you are okay.

That implant will have to be replaced. Any foreign object can cause problems from an allergic reaction to organ damage. Sometimes they erode inside and cause damage by creating bacteria inside of you.

I agree with your doctor avoid anything with Titanium and read labels carefully for ingredients.

Keep me posted on how it goes,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.