Can I have a bad thyroid even if I had a small blood test done and came back good?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a lump under my Adam's apple. Since I'm a girl my Addams apple is small but the lump feels big firm right under the apple. I'm not sure if it's my tracuela of my neck an is just big or if everyone has it. I've been ill for over a 7 months with explanation, I wake up nauseous and sometimes nauseous through out the day. I get cold chills from time to time in the morning but no temps, I'm extremely fatigue an seems to worse as time goes on. My hair isn't falling out more then normal an I'm not gaining weight. Went to our local health clinic they charge $20 for a thyroid blood test and it came back normal, not sure how in depth this blood test runs...

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

are you able to post the results....

• Posted

No it was about 2 months ago when I got tested. I didn't understand the results so I called and they said it was all clear and looking good. So after that tossed the paper out.

• Posted

Without being able to read the results it is impossible to give you a definitive answer.

But, it is possible to have a thyroid in the process of going bad. If this were the case, looking at the results of many thyroid tests done every other month would show a trend towards decline.

A physician can feel your thyroid in your throat. Perhaps you will request a consult...

• Posted

A Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause similar neurological symptoms. What sort of diet do you have as B12 can only be sorced naturally from food.

Vitamin B12, one of eight B vitamins, is essential to blood formation, regeneration of vitamin B9, or folic acid, DNA synthesis and the proper function of the brain and nervous system. B12 is an essential vitamin. Essential nutrients are molecules the body cannot produce on its own. So they must be supplied in the diet. Even just a small deficiency of vitamin B12 can have drastic effects on mood. Symptoms of a small vitamin B12 deficiency include anxiety, stress, irritability, depression, fatigue and mental confusion. To prevent a vitamin B12 deficiency, take a vitamin supplement or incorporate foods high in vitamin B12, such as beef, liver, seafood, fish, cheese and eggs, into your diet.

Vitamin B12 helps generate the fatty layer of the nerve endings, also known as myelin. The myelin layer must be intact for neuron signals to transmit properly. A vitamin B12 deficiency may impair the myelin layer and prevent proper signal transmission.

Folic acid is crucial for proper brain functioning and plays an important role in mental and emotional health. It helps in the production of DNA and RNA, the body's genetic material, especially when cells and tissues are growing rapidly, such as during infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. Vitamin B9 works with vitamins B6 and B12 and other nutrients in controlling the blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine. 

• Posted

Your probably right, I've been taking these doctors diet pills an haven't been eating but only one small meal a day.

• Posted

There is a lot of sense to the "old fashioned" meals of "Meat, potato, greens and gravy" becuase they provide the right nutrients and vitamins together in one go.

We don't need a lot of B12 daily to "top up" the store in our liver but if we don't eat "properly" we become like a leaky bucket with holes bigger than the tap trying to fill it and we become deficient..

• Posted

Yes but only as long as you don't have an absorption problem which means that you can't obtain B12 or Folate from the foods mentioned above in which case the pills won't be much good..

A Methycobamalin B12 spray under the tongue may be the most effective method together with some Folic Acid tablets for a few months bot of which should be available at your local pharmacy.

However the best way is to eat more meat and greens sd I said before.

• Posted

Thank you clive i will end up buying that, Im not sure what my case is. I dont think its thyroid related my husband has the same lump. Defintely something going on though, I have bilirun in my urine and left side pain under my ribs that feels like someone is stabbing my insides. Ive been taking digestive emzyms before i eat sometimes they help. I dont have a gallbladder but what ive read a lot of people without a gallbladder have this issue. I thought my weight was effecting my health so i asked doc to prescribe me phentermine and so far lost 20lb in a little over a month. Happy im losing weight but afraid to actually eat without triggering any pain. Had a ct scan from chest down and everything looks good exept for a stomach tumor, did a scope and biopsy the tumor and its benign so should not cause any problems.
    • Posted

Give B12 a try - it can do you no harm and you cannot overdose on it.  I suggest you take some folic acid with it for a few months as the two work together and are essential to each other.
  • Posted

I had a 3.5 cm nodule on my thyroid and all my tests came back normal.   
    • Posted

more than the numbers, it is the relationships of the numbers one to another. Thyroid is quite complicated
    • Posted

ill have my doctor feel my neck, I think im being paranoid here though. Ive been too the doctor twice this month for a uti an starting to think they are getting annoyed with me and possibly think im a hybocondracte. Think i spelled that wrong.
    • Posted

hypochondriac...a UTI is a true emergency!

See if you can obtain a copy of your thyroid test results.

Merry Christmas

• Posted

Yes sorry i forgot will set a reminder and see if I can get those Monday, the clinic here is closed on Fridays. Ive been in the doctors office at least once or twice a month for uti's or blood in urine as well as stomach issues. I know a uti is an emergency and hurts like crazy, but they see me way too often and my insurence doesnt cover a urologist. I take tramadols for pain since i get a uti 2-3 weeks out of the month and is nausous daily and helps with my nausea. If i were a doctor and saw the same person over and over and didnt know what was wrong with them id think they are either seeking attention or more painkillers, which im not by the way. I go so much bc im trying to be persitant on getting help bc i dont want to take the tramadol no more.

• Posted

yes i went to one and they asked me a bunch of questions that my primary doctor had already asked and then prescribed me the same antibodics my primary doctor had prescribed me the month before. I told the urologist i just took these same pills last month but persited i take them again. I had too pay $100 co-pay bc of no insurence, then later that month got a $700 bill in the mail. I was shocked all he did was ask me questions. I get assistnce from my local hospital they pay 80% I pay 20%. They have a program for those who can not afford insurence and a clinic connected to the hospital that applys to the program. So i ended up not going back to the urologist i can not even begin to imagine how much debt id be in if i did continue. My local clinic though is limited, one surgent and only family doctors in this small town of 6,000 people in it. I get what i can take even though i my not get the anwsers i want so quickly. Even though ive been suffering with this for over a year now.
    • Posted

I understand...

Mayo Clinic us highly esteemed in the USA

Several factors make women more likely to get recurrent bladder infections, a type of urinary tract infection (UTI). These factors include:

Kidney or bladder stones

Bacteria entering the urethra during intercourse

Changes in estrogen levels during menopause

An abnormal urinary tract shape or function

An inherited risk of developing bladder infections (genetic predisposition)...... .

Treatment is directed at the underlying cause, when possible. If your doctor can't find a cause, one of these options may help:

A long-term, low-dose antibiotic for as long as six months to two years

Intermittent or self-directed antibiotic therapy — for instance, taking an antibiotic after intercourse or starting a course of antibiotics supplied in advance by your doctor at the first sign of a UTI

Vaginal estrogen therapy — if you don't already take oral estrogen — for signs or symptoms related to vaginal dryness (atrophic vaginitis) after menopause

Expert opinions vary on whether certain lifestyle changes reduce the risk of bladder infection, but it may be helpful to:

Drink plenty of liquids, especially water, to help flush out bacteria

Urinate often, especially when you feel the need

Wipe from front to back after urination or a bowel movement

Take showers rather than baths

Gently wash the skin around your vagina and anus daily using a mild soap and plenty of water

Use forms of birth control other than a diaphragm and spermicides

Empty your bladder as soon as possible after intercourse

Avoid deodorant sprays or scented feminine products in the genital area.

unquote

I hope this will be of some help.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Thank you Judith, I'm sure my uti is from not enough water. I think I've been battling the same uti for a year now an has never fully went away. I take showers not bath and I have genetics in my family that struggle with this. I always wipe after intercourse and possible I could have estrogen problems but I would not know I've never had hormones tested. I started using cotton undies due too thinking it was the material of silk that bothered me. I don't use any kind of sprays or deodorants down there bc I burn so easily. 😳

• Posted

I'm also 28 yrs old I don't think it's menopause 😂😂 but hey who knows, the foods we eat here in America can make it happen!!

• Posted

I changed to cotton panties as well, things breath.

If the bacteria is reduced but not eliminated, the bacteria will multiply again.

Have you ever tried yeast medication...If you have a lot of good bacteria, perhaps it will defeat the bad bacteria.

I would also try the "soap" cleansing.

hugs

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.