Can I take Mirtazapine and Sertraline at the same time?

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've been taking mirtazapine (15mg, night time) and sertraline (100mg, morning) for 2 years now and it's been superb. However, I'd like to try taking the mirtazapine and sertraline BOTH at night-time. Does anyone know if this is safe to do?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi can I just ask why you want to take the sertraline at night?

I can understand the mirtazapine as it has a sedativebiggrin

• Posted

Hey Lynne,

Sertraline seems to flare up my IBS, particularly in the first few hours of taking it. I figure if I take it at night with Mirtazapine I should be able to sleep through the worst of the gut side-effects!

• Posted

Hi I don't no if you can do that but I always took the sertraline at night anyway .. I'd wana go to sleep when id take it in the morning & yawn alday long.. I took mine with lithium or quetiapine. .

• Posted

Does sertraline have a sedative in as well
    • Posted

It can be sedative for some people Lynne. For me, I don't find it sedative at all - it's just the IBS side effects that I would rather have at night than during the day.

If you have any questions about sertraline feel free to ask me, I've been on it for 5 years and I'm happy to help smile 

• Posted

Sorry my laptops going madcry Does sertraline have a sedative in?

Im only asking because Ive been  on 45mg of mirt for 6 years its stopped working,so im tapering off that and on to sertralinecheesygrin

• Posted

I'm not sure Lynne I never looked into this ..just ment to give u seratona .. maybe that's why I yawned so much ..
    • Posted

It can be sedative. Have you discussed with your doc the possibility of taking sertraline and mirtazapine together? It's an amazing combo, the drugs augment each other really well.
    • Posted

Ive just started on 25mg at the moment,its only been a few days but headaches and dizziness are the worst I know it takes time to get used to it and it could also be the mirt withdrawal Im still on 15mg mirt

I have just been diagnosed with IBS,

I am really sruggling at the moment,Ive just started getting anxiety in December hence the change in meds but its really affecting my depression now feel vert very lowsad

• Posted

Hi venusia,

​Personally  would not take Mirt. and Sertraline at night, not without seeing your GP first. If you have felt ok for the last 2 years why change?.

• Posted

I agree with Baz, ask your doc before making any changes.  ADs can be activating so it may mess with your sleep if you switch.  If your doc is ok with it, then I'd recommend making the switch gradually.  If it is possible to break your tablet down into quarters, take 3/4 AM and 1/4 PM for a couple of days, and then 1/2 and 1/2, then 1/4 and 3/4 and so on.  If you notice that your sleep is disrupted or any other odd symptoms crop up along the way, you can return to the way it was before with less trouble.
    • Posted

Great advice there Betsy, as always.

I would go along with this, always best to tread carefully, if you disrupt the systsem it may be difficult to put it right afterall.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hello Venusia,

In theory, yes you could take both and really the same goes for anyother drugs (medications) 

Now actually doing it is completely different. I would strongly discourage you doing that at least until after speaking to your physician (GP or Psychiatric consultant) Though rare, you can develop something called Serotonin Syndrome (Google it). In short, if not treated rapidly, it can turn into a medical emergency and to be blunt, sleep and depression would become the least of your worries at that point. Same can be said for Emergency Department (A/E) staff.

Be well

• Posted

My Gp said is was not ok to take mirt and setraline.

I went to see a psych yesterday he said it was ok

• Posted

In that case, it would be better to mention the response they both gave back to them so they can discuss this between them.

• Posted

Ive been taking it for 6 weeks now and all is ok.

Psych over ruled the gp.

Craig hypercat and oldboy all take this combi they are on this forum

The mirtazapine section of the forum

Stay strongcool

• Posted

I figured that was going to happen (Psych overruling the GP) since psychitrists do know about those kinds of medications and went to school to specifically learn about prescribing that specific medication therefore are knowledgable with interraction between other medications. 

I am glad you are remaining well and in high spirits.

• Posted

I was on mirt for 4months put on by my pdr. Had a real bad time on it she told me just to come off it.. I went to my gp not long after & he couldn't believe I didn't taper. . Pdr not always right.. I also told her I wasn't sleeping well ..pt me on zopiclone. .never mentioned how bad it was. She then put me on venlafaxine a drug that she wouldn't put me on before the mirt ..I begged her not to because of constant talking to meself was driving me crazy & ven wouldn't help as she told me previous. .I said could I have citrolpram instead as iv spoke to people on here she said no we dnt have much use for it here..I was Terifide to start the ven I have a young child on my own & was crying ..he just said goodbye... over paid robots..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.