Can I take turmeric supplements with immunosuppressants?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm taking prograf immunosuppressants, since my kidney transplant two years ago. I suffer from diabetes and have athritis of the knees. As one of the effects of Prograf is to raise blood sugar levels, research has shown that turmeric reduces this. It is also an anti-inflamatory and therefore would help with my knees. It increases levels of tacrolimus in the blood. Therefore, it could mean a reduction in the dose of Prograf and therefore less side effects. I've heard that I should not take more than a teaspoon of turmeric on a daily basis. Before I embark on this, has anyone had any experience of using turmeric? Has it worked out well?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Definitely you need to speak to someone official on this one - it needs medical experience to ensure your safety.  Your Consultant should be able to advise.  Best wishes.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I submitted the research to my surgeon. Although, he agreed there were many benefits, he couldn't advise further as he stated he had no clinical experience with the use of turmeric.
  • Posted

I am also on Prograf after kidney transplant 5 years ago and suffer some side effects of Prograf such as headaches and high blood pressure (but not elevated blood sugar as I am a vegetarian for many years and have normal weight). I also started using Tumeric (my doctor does not have ANY opinion on it) with positive effects. I I take 1 capsule of Tumeric it lowers my blood pressure 20 points within 30 minutes. I do not swallow capsules, but rather open them and disolve tumeric powder in half glass of water and drink it in 2-3 portions within 30 min. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.