Can I use Regaine (minoxidil) for hair loss?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

We have Brugada Syndrome in the family.

I wondered if I can use Regaine, as I see in the information leaflet there is something about using in caution with abnormal heart rhythms.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

The reason they warn against it with arythmias is because it uses potassium as the main ingredient to stop further loss and promote new growth. The problem is as you probably already know potassium can alter or affect the hearts rhythm.

I personally would ask you're GP the next time you see him or her. Or you could also ask the main pharmacist in you're local chemist or go on the regaine manufacturers website and send them an email as I bet they've been asked this question many times before.

If it was me, I'd probably use a very small amount once or twice and see how you react to it, just don't go using tonnes of it like filling the bathtub with it and bathing in it lol :-)

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I came across this thread and couldn't help but to chip in... as potassium is NOT the main cause here.

It is the active ingredient minoxidil that acts as a vasodilator and causes ventricular arythimias in particular.

I suffered a small heart attack due to overdose!

Please be careful 

• Posted

Hello Nima

Thank you for your reply.

Oh my goodness, how awful.for you.  Are you alright now

I still haven't been able to bring myself to use it - I not a lot of people have palpitations using it.

Thank you so much for the warning.

xx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

As if it hadn't happened (now 9 months ago) - but recovery was a good 4-5 months and not fun.

I think it's safe to say you'll notice any "side effects" heart racing/palpitations should you be prone to it.

I stupidly applied a double dose which I've only got myself to blame for I suppose. Needless to say, I'm not touching the stuff - ever again. Even after I tried applying it, small amount and could feel my heart racing (whether it was paranoia or the real deal again I'll never know but not worth finding or for me!)

With that said, I've barely heard of anyone else having issues so if you are going to try it I'd suggest half the amount and see how you fare.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.