Can IBS cause severe stomach bloating

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there.I can't handle the worry anymore.I was doagnosed with IBS 8 years ago and it started out minor,but lately it almost happens  every month.My concern is when you google the symtoms (I'm crazy like that)there are so many things that come up that are more serious...ovarian cancer,appendacitis,bowel obstruction,colon cancer etc. I always worry the Dr is missing something.My main symptom is stomach distention.Along with that I get cramps in my lower abdomen that feel like period cramps or abdominal pain that makes me feel like I have to go to the bathroom all the time.I am usually not constipated,it is the complete opposite.Sometimes I go 5-6 times a day.I have a terrible taste in my mouth,Gerd and lots of gas.Sometimes I always feel like I have to burp but can't.The nausea is the pits.Everything combined can last a week or more at a time.I have it going on now and have second guessed going to the hospital,but then tell myself...it's just your IBS.I mean it can really make me feel sick with the pains and distention,Sometimes I wonder if anxiety worrying that it's more serious gets the best of me.Does anyone feel this sick with IBS and is there anything to do for it?I can go all day without eating and still feel it...HELP!😡

0 likes, 25 replies

Report / Delete

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

kelly, the symptoms you describe seem to support the IBS and GERD diagnosis. I don't have GERD, but have similar intestinal issues including cramping, bloating and multiple bowel movements. Maybe you should limit your googling to IBS and what you can do to get it under control. Looking up everything that can give you cramps will have you lurching from pillar to post. Read up on how foods can affect you and keep a record on how they affect you personally. Worrying does nothing for you. Maybe try meditation?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your right Beverly. It's so hard to believe how I feel is just IBS.I was sick all day with it. I need to stop googling my symptoms for sure and meditation is a great idea.I have kept a food diary,but can't find any triggers.I have heard stress can aggrivate it.last year I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia as well, it can get confusing.Thank you for responding.I'm going to look into meditation or something to de-stress 😊
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kelly unfortunately ibs causes all your symptom's, ive had this for 12 yrs myself and lists tonnes of weight and suffered all sorts, you deff tho want to keep a diary see if can pin point anything and if haven't already get your gp to run tests to rule things, ive had them all done 3 times over aswell, I'm currently seeing a dietician doing the fodmap diet which has been created for us ibs sufferers that might be worth doing aswell, hope you get somewhere

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you!!Can I ask you what kind of tests you had done?A dietician is a great idea.I need to find out what bothers me.I eliminated milk for sure.I use to love my ovaltine in the morning with skim milk.I suffer alot with Gerd as well and at the moment have a burning sensation in my throat with eating along with a yucky taste all the time.It is the belly pains that is my worst complaint.Have you ever had a flare up for weeks at a time?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kelly, I agree with Lucy. See if you can see a dietician, speak to your doctor, you may get an appointment on the NHS, if not then seek out a good one. Take along your food diary, an expert may see something you are missing.

I suffer with this but have it more or less under control and I have Diverticulitus too.

A friend of mine sees a hpnotherapist for her IBS as it was so bad. I have never resorted to it, but she swears by it.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief very soon.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks!!I agree,the dietician route is a good idea because I can't find my triggers after keeping a diary.Do you take anything for the IBS..A PPI or anything.Gerd comes with the IBS for me
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi kelly, 

yes ive had flare ups for days on end, but the tests ive had are colonoscopies, endoscopies, barium x rays, scans, transit studies, gastric emptying and a proctoram aswell as being tested for coeliac.

yes deff hun get a proper dietician go back to your gp nag him like mad and poss try this fodmap it seems to work for others smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Lol.All I do is nag my Doctor.I think he thinks I am a hypochondriac at this point,lol.I was seeing a Gastro but I wasn't happy with him.He always rushed me and his bed side manner was bad,The only test I have had so far is blood work,stool sample and an ultrasound to rule out gallbladder etc.I need an endoscopy for sure but am currently looking for a new Gastro Dr in my plan.Do you go through your GP or a Gasto Dr?My GP seems to know more then the Gastro Dr.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

oh nightmare bless you.ive change doctors so many times just to try get somehwere, its only been 3 yrs ago i finally was referred to a gastro who saw the severety i was ran all the other tests i mentioned ( altho i was forever told by other doctors theres nothing we can do for you ) and am now getting help with him, he giving me new medication and im also seeing the dietician too i did recently go private for a second opinion and got a bit of advice and help so im starting his programme at the minute too see how that goes. but yes you deff want an endoscopy done and change gps is your ever not happy
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, indeed I do have suggestions, and typed them up earlier but I can not see the post . .  

Often the Doctors go down the 'illimination' process.

Although not against Doctors at all sometimes, just sometimes they miss the basics . .  and usually this is specific food intolernaces. 

If you type in Nature's Physician Global Health Mission then go to the Food/Health Page, I think you will be able to connect with some of hte links there. 

Happy to expand . .  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I see also one can send a private message on this Site, happy to expand there if you wish. 

There is nothing worse than suffering in the way you have been suffering Kelly and with no results to settle your mind it can be even more frustrating. 

But don't despair, there is always an answer to most health issues. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi kelly. I often feel sick & bloated with my ibs-d through the first 2 thirds of the day mainly. i just kind of accept it now. the only food i can tolerate for brekkie lunch most of the time due to no appetite & mild to moderate sick feeling is half a pint of 1%fat milk or a pot of muller rice original! but they are foods! i eat a normal balanced meal in the evening. milk seems to soothe my tummy, but some people cant get on with dairy. i have been taking symprove probiotic(google it) which also helps a bit with the bloating & made things a bit more stable. i also suffer from colitis(under control with meds), fructose malabsorption(have to avoid fruit & most veg & high fructose foods) , & bile acid malabsorption(bam). bam is often overlookd in people with ibs-d, colitis etc. it causes diarrea, stomach pain,bloating,rectal soreness, stomach noise beyond normal! you should maybe ask to be tested for this with a sehcat scan at your hosp through your gastro doc as it is easily treated with meds. the meds i take for this made the most difference to me getting on top of my illnesses & back to a relatively normal life. i still get the odd blips, but kind of expect it with a few conditions to control! but on the whole everything moderately controlled now. persevere with docs, you know when somethings not right with your own body, it just takes a long time to get diagnosis accurated sometimes. hope this helps xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you.So happy to meet peoplewho understand.I agree with the milk idea.It soothes my belly too.the fat free is what I do.Today I am still suffering.I am trying to get an appointment now.Something is not right.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up