Can my TSH affect the Adrenal Glands so much ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my thyroid totally removed about six months ago and now my TSH is seven. I feel extreme fatigue. After the gym by body shuts down and I feel tired for two to three days. I don't gain weight, I lost just a bit and I have the tendency to lose weight in general.

I have nervousness, light sensitivity and now some kind of depression from bad thoughts. My complain is that I feel extemely tired (Thyroid-tired) and I cannot sleep as if my body does not have the energy do that.

Whenever I walk I noticed some sort of mild discomfort where the kidneys are.

Could the high TSH affect my adrenal glands in this way that I feel more and more tired by the day ? I cannot enjoy life any more.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if low TSH affects the adrenal glands specifically (maybe someone else can answer that), but low thyroid levels definitely make you tired and can lead to depression, and if you have adrenal insufficiency already you're prone to being tired anyway :-(. I had 75% of my thryoid removed and  after a year of trial and error on the dose of thyroid (which wreaked havoc on my body, I was extremely tired, slept all the time, and was extra irritable), I was on a stable dose of synthroid for several years until this past year when all my hormones have been going crazy (they are not diagnosing AI yet but it's borderline every time they test so they tell me to come back every few months to see if it is getting better or worse). I resisted upping the thyroid dose for a few months but finally did it a couple of weeks ago and I have felt much better - sleeping better (but needing a little less sleep), more able to regulate my emotions and think clearly, and have stopped gaining weight.

• Posted

What kind of tests are provided for having the adrenals checked ? I need to tell my doctor.
  • Posted

Sorry - I wrote "high TSH" in my first sentence but I meant "low TSH" - as you probably know, a high number in your TSH results means that your thyroid function is low. I conflated the two in my mind ;-)

• Posted

Man, I wish there was an edit function for these posts! You know what I mean - I should have written "high TSH", which is what you wrote. Maybe I need a nap ;-).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.