Can Omega-3's help psoriasis and arthritis? Does anyone take them?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I wonder if you can help.  My mum has arthritis in her knee but also has had psoriasis for about 15 years (started after the death of her Dad). Vitiligo is also in our family, and she has patches of that all over her body.  The vitiligo and psoriasis are both linked to the immune system but the arthritis is just wear and tear.

She has been taking cod liver oil for the arthritis but I've bought her a high omega-3 supplement (using tuna oil rather than cod).  After research I've told her to double the dosage as I know these things can take ages to get into the system and show any benefit.  Also, I've read that fish oils can help psoriasis too as it acts as an anti-inflammatory.  So 2 benefits!

Too early to say whether the tuna oil capsules are working but would be good to know if anyone has tried omega-3s and can recommend a brand or product?

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I too take fish oil for psoriasis and ankylosing spondilitis but by way of Krill Oil combining omega 3 and 6. After taking Omega3 for probably 20 years I  decided after much research and recommendations to swap to Krill Oil for its additional potency and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition I added in Astaxanthin which again is a very good anti-inflammatory and I am glad I changed as I believe it to be more effective for both my psoriasis and AS (which is a form of arthritis). If you would like to know which brand I take please private message me otherwise the moderator of this site will delete this post as they consider it advertising. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that.  I didn't realise Omega 6 helped joints, I thought that omega 6 caused issues with psoriasis and joints as it fuels inflammation. I've read to cut down on dairy and sunflower oils (because of the omega 6).  So that sort of contradicts what I have read so far.  Its baffling isn't it!   I am guessing the krill oil has red packaging. Thats the most popular one I see.   This tuna oil is new (won't mention brand) and it doesn't have omega 6.  

Doctors are very quick to prescribe meds but don't bother discussing diet or nutrition.  I've encouraged my Mum to eat more healthy and I also believe stress is a trigger for psorasis.  

• Posted

You are right in what you say about food and Omega 6, sorry I was getting confused with another pill I take. Krill Oil is Omega 3 plus other ingredients. If you go to the Victoria Health website and search for The power of Krill it will bring up the brand that I take. In addition if you scroll down that same page you will see in red lettering some articles which are very informative. They are alleviating eczema and psoriasis and Is Krill oil the new fish oil. These articles will give you a greater insight into both the conditions and suggestions for suitable pills to help alleviate the conditions. Hope this helps. 
    • Posted

Phew, thought I had got it all wrong about Omega 6! Will have a look at Victoria Health, so thanks for that.  I will give my mum some time on the tuna oil, with her doubling the dosage, it should show some benefits within a few weeks.  She has to sort her diet though.  Thanks again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.