Can Omeprazole cause gut problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 20 mg Omeprazole twice a day for 18 months and despite trying to eat healthily I regularly suffer with consti[pation. I am guessing that as PPI's are supposed to block about 90% of gastric acid your food is not being properly digested?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Constipation is a recognised possible side effect of PPI drugs but not that commonly encountered. there are different PPIs available which are all as effective at equivalent dose, You could ask to try another to see if you tolerate it better.

Pantoprazole at 40mg is equivalent to 20mg omeprazole and tolerated by more.

PPIs reduce stomach acid which deosn't actually prevent digestion. Stomach acid works with digestive enzymes to help reduce the food bolus arriving in the stomach to liquid chyme which passes to the intestines where digestion occurs.

• Posted

Really useful to know, as l also suffer with constipation which has become worse, but I hadnt connected it with taking PPIs.  good feedback

L

• Posted

Unfortunately, and based on my own experience of taking PPI's,  constipation is a real problem. My Doctor prescribed Movicol for this and it definitely made a difference to me. Hope this helps. The PPI I took (Lansoprazole) stopped working so I am PPI free now and have been for almost a year. I personally didn't like fact that after blood tests it was found  that I had a B12 deficiency, which can also be associated to taking PPIs. One wonders what other long term problems are masked whilst taking them. 
  • Posted

This medication made my symptoms much worse. I tried 3 different times taking it and stopped it completely after this. I still take Famotodine and eat cold dill pickle spears to balance the acid when my symptoms get bad. FYI - my Doctor did not prescribe the pickles, I read where someone else tryed this on the internet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.