Can only go one day without a drink !!!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I know I should stop drinking, I don't drink everyday buy can only go one day without a drink, I then convince myself I deserve, the little voice tells me , you deserve it , you work hard , I tried aa, but feel I didn't fit in as I don't black out, I don't drink into oblivion, but I do drink 7-10 bottles a week, I'm at the end of my tether and slipping back to depression fast !!!! PS feel better just writing that down

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is that 7 - 10 bottles of wine per week?
    • Posted

Yes it is, I know probably not alot to some but 3 years ago was I hospital and told already signs of liver damage, but still the battle goes on
  • Posted

Hi Ann,

​Welcome. I am new to this site but found everyone so supportive. You are so right in that just writing our feelings down helps that pressure cooker feeling and I have so many wonderfully supportive responses.

​I have previously tried AA and struggled with it. I also do not drink every day but the impact when I do drink is horrific and messes up my life. I am back attending AA and have realised that alcoholism may affect everyone differently but the results usually end up in a very similar vein - illness, loss, guilt, loneliness etc. I have attended meetings every day for the last 4 and have had 4 sober days. Just starting my 5th.

​Good luck and keep coming back to this forum. It really does help.

• Posted

Thank you very much it's like a constant battle in my head and the bad guy always wins, but I have never felt this determined, like a light has switched on, thanks again
    • Posted

Hi Ann. Emma is right and this is great and people do not mis judge you since we have all been there and understand you. This is as good as any time to try and stop. Liver damage is quite serious and perhaps you should have a full medical check and blood tests?? Regards Robin
  • Posted

Hi ann. You're situation sounds similar to mine. I was drinking for 20 years and whenever I tried to quit I never got beyond a handful of days.

However I'm now on 125 days since I last drank.

What I realised pretty quickly was that loads of people are struggling with alcohol, without necessarily fitting the typical description of an alcoholic. Also, that there is lots of online support out there which can really help.

Quitting is the BEST thing I've done in my adult life. The benefits are amazing and it gets easier and better. I'll never go back. Stick in there.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Well done YLT and today 126 days. Soon 500. YOu can do it and we all support you. Tomorrow 3 years for me. Keep well. Robin
    • Posted

Thanks Robin. Congratulations on 3 years. That's really inspiring.
  • Posted

It is like a cleansing of the soul when we are able to share our pain and confusion with others.  7-10 is alot....and you CAN go more than 1 day if you put your mind to it and not give in.

​Glad you posted.

• Posted

Hi Ann, for many on here 7-10 bottles of wine a week doesn't sound much but if you think women are recommended not to exceed 2 bottles a week it is too much and if your liver is showing signs then it is too much. So well done for your desire to do something about it. I have to say, that's my sort of level having managed to get down to 3-5 bottles a week but slipped again. New year new start for me. You might want to see of your GP can offer any support. I wish you all the best

H

• Posted

Hi ann,

It takes courage to admit it so well done. I wonder what is in those bottles?

I hope I understood you but are you saying that you don't fit into A.A. because you don't have black outs or drink into oblivion?

That isn't what A.A. is about and if it's strong liquor in those bottles, you're heading for your first black out if you haven't already had one in your sleep.

I'm sure we all know that drinking makes problems seem much more worse and more difficult to solve. Not many alcoholics feel at ease when they go to A.A. especially the first time. I know of people who go to A.A. and drink less than you and I know of (myself included) who drank much, much more.

There are ways to fit in if you want to............ I don't know of anyone who felt completely at ease at first. I didn't.

Best wishes, I hope you reply to me and maybe I can put your mind at rest about misconceptions about A.A.

Best wishes, Peter.

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your support, yes I felt I wasn't that bad, with stories of homelessness, marriage break ups ect, I didn't have the best childhood and now suffer from panic attacks and I think drinking is a coping mechanism, although I know it makes me worse, I know I'm not living my life to the full, now my kids are older it should be time for me and my husband but it's really not. Sorry for babbling on I don't stop once I get going lol

• Posted

HI Ann. You can only do so much and the fact there you are here sharing your concerns here is great. Make a plan for 2016 and we will guide and assist you. We are all in the same boat and can give you impartial advice. Best of luck!! Robin
    • Posted

Hi anna, thanks for your reply.. I was always anxious about most things, I was young and found booze and it helped me to calm down especially as I played in a few bands. I couldn't go on stage without being full of drink........ any alcohol would do. I even took some of my piano exams drunk.

In fact, I revised for my C.S.E. exams in the local labour club just before I took the afternoon tests. What a state to be in? Luckily I did okay.

Maybe your drinking is a result of having anxiety and panic attacks?tHave you spoken to your doctor about it? It may be the root cause of your drinking or part of it?

Babble as much as you want or need to; get it off your chest.

All the best. Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.