Can Saline Laxative Abuse Elevate Blood Pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 33 yr. old female that discovered over a month ago, at the doctor's office, that my blood pressure was elevated at 135/92. My doc didn't even bat an eye at it, but I freaked out! I've never had a blood pressure issue in my life, while it runs heavily in my family. I'm pretty lean. About 133lbs at 5'6", but I've had a laxative addiction for about 14+ yrs. Just before all this happened I had decided to take myself off the laxatives cold turkey. A few weeks prior to that I stopped drinking Starbuck's Refresher Energy drinks cold turkey as well. My doctor attributed my high blood pressure to the stress of quitting such harsh substances all at once, and gave me 2 weeks to see if my bp would come down. Well I succeeded in blowing it up to crazy high numbers just worrying about having high blood pressure, and worrying that the family curse caught me. I take my bp every 15 mins. I even take my bp device to work.

I've been put on 5 mg amplodipine and 37.5-25 triamterene-hct which, has my ankles and feet swollen, and my hair combing out by the handfuls. This was my biggest fear that I would have to start meds and lose my hair and have other awful side effects. I asked my doc if I would be on this crap forever. She said we'll see, but it does run in your family. Not very hopeful. My blood pressure has been staying around 109-120/72-86ish like it use to be, but I really want off the meds now. When I'm at the doc's office I always read 140/80ish because I'm sooo nervous about the reading they might get. At this point I don't know if I have true genetic high blood pressure, anxiety, or if I did this to myself with the potent laxatives and energy drinks I had been taking. The laxative I was using was Concentrated Milk of Magnesia. It was made to use only half the dose. I was turning the bottle up like a drink, never measuring, every single day. I have no idea how much salt is in that stuff. I have heart palpatations whenever I lye down for bed, or upon standing. I can tell when my blood pressure is rising because, I'll have like an electrical current or pulsating running up behind my ears/neck. I'm trying to seek help from an eating disorder clinic but, I never thought I was going to have to deal with high blood pressure too. I already have horrible constipation, and the bp meds is making it far worse. Any thoughts or advice? I don't know what to do sad

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what a pity U R having this issue, maybe U can start having a Table spoon full of Aloe Vera Gel plus 1 teaspoon of castor oil  followed by a large glass of hot water

B4 breakfast each day,this should definitely help to start getting your bowel movements back into balance.Wish U well, be patient eat plenty of veg & fruit.

• Posted

Thank you Erica44. I will definitely try the Aloe Vera. That seems like it would be easier on the body.
  • Posted

I understand completely your aversion to constipation. I too find it very uncomfortable, sleep disturbing and generally debilitating. I avoid it by eating a lot of fruit and veg... Five a day without fail and plenty of tap water. I also try and  include a reasonable amount of daily exercise.. Say 30-45 mins. Hope you manage to find a solution to what is obviously something that distresses you.
    • Posted

Yep Andy exercise is important, one doesn't even have to do strenuous exercise, just walking 20-30 mins a day works for me
  • Posted

Blood pressure can affect slim people, and the cause is not always life style. 135/92 is considered fine by my doctor and in UK the border line is 140, so yours seems not at all bad. We all hate being on any medication but after a stint in the hospital after a dizzy spell (I had delayed taking medication in the hope of getting my own BP down) I reluctantly admitted I must take them.
    • Posted

You're right miranda68003. I'm sorry you had to be hospitalized sad
  • Posted

Hi Me914

Don't freak out with a bp reading of 132/92. While the systolic number (top) is good, the diastolic(bottom) is a little high. No wonder your doctor didn't freak out. 

Constantly worrying about bp numbers can drive it up. You'd be surprised at how much it can go up by becoming anxious about it. You were taking the readings every 15min. That's far too much!!!! BP fluctuates minute by minute. If you keep taking your bp every few minutes (even every 15min) you'll see quite a variation in the numbers, & if some of them are high, it will drive you even nuttier, which in turn makes you think to take the reading yet again. Get out of this habit!!!!

Also, worrying about what the numbers might be while attending the Dr.'s office

will also drive those numbers up..it's called "White Coat Syndrome", & I'm sure your doctor knows about your anxiety being at the office. This is very common. How well I know..I too can't relax when attending the Dr. office, but he knows this, & accepts the bp readings I take to him. If at any time you are not feeling well, or are experiencing pain, it's the wrong time to take bp readings. Don't take them

when you're feeling a little anxious. Your bp staying around 109-120/72-86ish is VERY good. There IS a chance you won't have to take bp meds the rest of your life, if you lead a healthy lifestyle..fresh vegetables (never canned), fresh fruits,

lean meats, etc.etc...& exercise. I'm not saying to go out & join a gym, but even if you walk for about 45min a few times/week, along with the heathy eating, you can naturally lower your bp, which could indicate to the Dr. that your bp meds can be lowered. I would guess from what you've written, that you've been on the Amlodipine for 1 month. That's really not a long time, but certainly enough to see if the Amlodipine is indeed working to lower the bp. By the way...a very common side effect of Amlodipine is swollen ankles/feet. Why not ask the Dr. if you can

take just 2.5 mgs & see if the swelling stops. I would advise you to read the forum here on Amlodipine. You'll see there are a number of people who have suffered side effects of Amlodipine, yours truly included. This doesn't mean to say that you will suffer them also..but again..the swollen ankles/feet is very very common.

• Posted

Thank you mike92384. You're so right. I am trying to get out of the habit of taking my bp every 15 mins. It's just terrible knowing something is wrong with your body.
    • Posted

Me914. If you don't feel relaxed much prior to taking your bp readings, then don't do it. It's obvious you're not ready. Not too long ago, I got caught up taking my bp readings far too often. I'd see a high average, then I'd wait a minute or two, then take it again. This pattern repeated itself, & the only person who suffered was me. A friend who is a former nurse told me to taking the readings as usual..if it's a relatively high reading..then so what...move on. IF over the course of a few days the readings are still relatively high, that's when you report this to the doctor, BUT be sure to take bp readings when completely relaxed, not under stress, pain or anxiety. I took this advice, & believe me, it was well worth it, which is why I've passed this on to you. Once you become worried about it, especially after seeing a relatively high reading, the anxiety sets in..then you become concerned, thereby taking yet another reading. Get out of this habit..NOW. Hope this helps!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.