Can someone figure this out for me...please???..

Posted , 4 users are following.

At Thanksgiving of this year my husband and I went over to a friends house to have a couple beer and socializing. A couple hours there and I was going to the bathroom on a regular basis (every 15-20 minutes.) Soon I was unable to leave the bathroom and when I did I could turn around and go right back. I told him we had to leave. As soon as I got back home I was on the toilet constantly. I figured I had a uti. Eventually I got to the point of straining to push the pee out. All night long I did this. On one episode of straining I had a BM and ended up with a fissure ( huge tear in opening of anus - inside)One of the worst nights of my life. The next day I went to the hospital where I gave a pee sample and it came back negative for infection. The doctor then went on my symptoms and prescribed an antibiotic for a week. After a week there was no more about the uti only the fissure. ( in another group dealing with that painful thing )About a month later we were invited out to hear a band we liked in the afternoon at a pub. We hadn't been out in a while so we accepted. Through the course of the afternoon I had about 5 beer and 3 water bottles (didn't want to be dehydrated because of my fissure). About 5 o'clock I started to feel the same symptoms as I had at Thanksgiving. I started to get scared. All my fears were confirmed when I was timing my trips to the bathroom. Soon I wasn't able to leave the bathroom but knew I had to cause they were ready to leave. I couldn't push the pee out this time because of my fissure. I held myself "down there" all the ride home. About 45 minutes. The pain was excruciating - burning, throbbing - all the sins of a uti again. I asked the driver to drop me off at the hospital. As well as the pain, my stomach looked like I was 4 months pregnant. Out to here! Long story short I had bladder retention. All I had drank never came out of me. After an hour of trying to give them a pee sample , it came back negative for infection. They drained my badder and I felt instant relief. I went home with a catheter for 3 days and after the 3rd day was able to pee. It hurt and still hurts a month after. Why is it the only 2 times that alcohol (beer) was involved did this happen to me? It seems too much of a coincidence for me.  I looked up being allergic to alcohol and it talks about vomiting. I didn't do that. I'm scared to try my theory again in case it happens all over and I can't go through that again. If I have to quit drinking I will but I'd like to know what is causing this. I am on a waiting list for a urologist - I'm told I'm not a priority cause he deals with cancer patients. They say after a catheter it takes time to heal but then I'm hearing it's been too long. What is going on with me???

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ugh, that sounds horrible for you. So, between the two episodes of drinking, you felt perfectly fine? No urgency, frequency, burning, bladder discomfort? I have overactive bladder and it came on suddenly out of the blue one day. I was fine one day and the next morning I couldn't leave the bathroom. I also thought I must have a UTI but all tests came back negative. My bladder just freaked out for no obvious reason. Alcohol is a bladder irritant so if you are already have issues with it, the alcohol will make it worse. That's probably why both times you felt horrible was when you were drinking. I'm not sure about the retention though. That's not a typical symptom of overactive bladder. It will be good to get in to see the urologist. He can perform several tests to see how your bladder is functioning and to rule out anything serious. In the meantime, avoid alcohol, caffeine, citrus, tomato and spicy foods to see if you can alleviate some of your bothersome symptoms. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for answering. Yes between the drinking events I am fine. Pee normal, feel normal in peeing between the episodes but since cathedral it still hurts to pee. I'm afraid I'll be feeling better by the time I get to see him and he won't be able to figure it out. I have since avoided ALL alcohol not just beer and I have to have caffeine lol - come on now😊  Spicy foods aren't in my diet anyways. Thanks again

• Posted

Let me offer another theory.  I wrote a longer reply that's being moderated.  Here's the shortened version

1.  The bowel and urethra are right next to each to each other in the perineum area.

2.  Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and excessive consumption dehydrates and often leads to constipation.   If you get a full bowel with a dry, hard stool, that can press on the urethra, and slow or block urination.  Do a search on alcohol and constipation.  (I'm really surprised you doctor didn't mention this.)

3.  I take one or two stool softners daily, and eat a high fiber diet, and that helps me avoid constipation.  (I also limit my alcohol intake to one or two drinks.)

• Posted

thank you Glenn ...i will search that for sure. Lately that's all I have been doing and sometimes I think I read too much. I have no problem having a soft BM. I know what I have to eat the night before. I am a healthy eater and exercise every morning for an hour. The 2 medical situations combined are making me so tired. I'm afraid to have any alcohol so I don't. Thank you again

• Posted

I had the same thing happen to me. I am so sorry as this is so painful. 

I went to ER & a catheter was placed to drain. So woo pee get to walk around for 4 days with a leash line to a bag of pee. It was uncomfortable and hurt . Eventually the irritation caused blood in urine.

Finally saw urologist did lots of test couldn't find anything wrong.

gave me a RX to relax the spinster muscle to urinate without all the previous discomfort.

A few months later my GP mentioned that taking to much antihistimes can cause bladder retention. ( benedryl) . I quit taking them and no longer had bladder retention and no RX for retention.

Just my experience . Yours may be entirely different. However I can certainly relate to the horrific discomfort. I felt like My abdomen was filling up with fluid & ready to explode. YIKES 😱

🎄🎄🎄

• Posted

Thank you for responding. It was the worst feeling and too boot my daughter who's a PSW told me my bladder could of burst. Our bladders are the size of a pear believe it or not. I am so glad you found out what was causingg your bladder retention. I Can't remember the last time I took antihistamines. I am normally pretty healthy - just the odd cold now and then. No allergies I know of. Thanks for sharing your story

• Posted

Ultra sound and other tests will help solve this health mystery.

stay well.

• Posted

Finally got an ultrasound date this Saturday January 7th. Have to drink the right amount of water. That will be hard to hold in. Appointment with urologist on the 12 th of January. FINALLY!  I'll fill you in when I get more. Thank you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.