Can someone please help me with my Nerve Conduction Study?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed in 2012 with 3 bulging disc, facet arthropathy, spinal stenosis, Disc Dengernative Disease, neuropathy in my legs, severe right Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and drop foot. In March 2014 I had a NCS and the findings were, Mild righ and left peroneal neuropathies. Moderate right and mild left tibial neuropathies. Severe right tarsal tunnel syndrome by posterior tibial nerve entrapment under the flexor retinaculum. and last moderate right sural sensory neuropathy. (Still dont know what this really means either) In 2014 I started having severe pain where I couldnt stand up straight or walk and my MRI findings were L5-S1 had a small disc protrusion with 3 mm in Ap Diameter. L4-5 had Disc dehydration. Moderate loss of disc height with moderate central disc herniation 8 mm in AP diameter. Severe central stenosis with compression of thecal sac and loss of visualization of CSF. A small amount of perithecal fat is present. (still dont know what all this means). L3-4 DIsc dehydration is present. Mild loss of disc height. There is small central disc protrusions 3 mm in Ap diameter. IMPRESSION: L4-5 moderate central disc herniation causing severe spinal stenosis and neural compression. Now that disc pinched my nerve and kept me in the bed not walking for a month and a half before I had to have surgery to fix just my L4-5 herniated disc. The surgery only got me back on my feet and walking but all my other problems remained after. No suprise cause my surgeon advised me thats all would happen. I havent had a MRI or NCS since my surgery in 2014. All my issues have gotten worse since starting Pain Management in 2012. Nothing has gotten better except by herniated disc from surgery. My Doctor isnt really the kind that comes in and talks and explains things. I dont know if my problems are for life or if they can get better. I have to go for another MRI cause my pain is worse since my last one and I just had another NCS done also. I dont know what it means so I was hoping someone could help me with understanding my diagnosis, whats going on, and translate my MRI results and NCS results in terms I can understand. I have pain in my back and cant stand for only a few minutes. Walking after only about 5 minutes starts to become unbearable. I have pain that runs down my butt, and I become very uncomfortable after sitting for longer periods then 15 minutes. I have bad pain in my legs, back and front. In my right leg mostly. The muscle in my right leg will knot up for hours and nothing seems to help during that time. I take Oxycontin, zanaflex, Cymbalta, doxapin for sleep and I take alot of Tylenol, Aleve, and Motrin with my Oxy and in between. The Motrin and Aleve causes my stomach to hurt so bad all I can do is lay in the bed with a heating pad. So Im really just trading one pain for another. The Tylenol makes me nauseous now cause Ive been taking it so long. I need some help understanding so maybe I can help myself with the pain by researching and trying different things so that maybe I wont kill myself way to early in life from taking all the medication I take and going into liver failure or my kidneys shutting down from to much Motrin. Help me Please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christina

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can say at the start to find another doctor. One that can talk to you.

I have severe spinal stenosis and disc problems at L4 -L5. I can manage my pain in many ways. Tylenol, heating pad, alpha lipoic acid and stretching exercise. My pain goes down my left buttock and down my legs.

Not sure if it's also neuropathy. After several hours I am pain free. But I also can't walk a long time and my balance is not good. . I do use a cane sometimes. Good luck

Sandy

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding. My husband suggested these forums in hopes it would be a little easier talking with someone who has some of the same problems. Thank you so much for your reply and I hope the best for you. God Bless...
  • Posted

I have gone through some of what you have experienced.  Long story short - one doctor after another -- I now go it alone.  What started my relief search:  A natural hot spring.  I found that all pain went away and I can sleep like a baby for days after soaking.   It is not just from the heat.  Hot water in a  bath tub does not work.  There are minerals in the hot springs.  So I researched minerals and vitamins.  What works for me is Magnesium and Vitamin E.  I kept increasing slowly, noticed much relief and decreased to one a day.  If I miss, things act up again.  I'll take both in the morning and both at night until it's better.  Everyone is different and don't know what will work for you.  Maybe taking a multiple vitamin, two different brands, with taking one in the morning and the other one at night.  I truly beleive our bodies are missing a mineral or two, a vitamin or two.  Also,that alpha-lipoic acid might work for you.  I will also use a TENS unit when I can't stand up from the sciatica visiting me.  Blocks the pain and I'm good to go. I know you have been through hell and this seems too simple.  It's up to you. I hope you find what works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.