can't bear this pain much longer

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just got home from a week in Croatia. We stayed in Split for three days which was lovely apart from the three flights of stairs up to our apartment. We then went to Dubrovnik for four days which was a BIG mistake.It was a steep hill and over a hundred steps to get into the town and the same going back! After the first trip down and back I just cried with the pain. My husband had to do all the interesting walks on his own. Luckily there was a lovly garden that I could lounge in during the day and get ready to face the nightmare trip into the town for dinner. I forced myself to do this every evening but now I'm really paying the price, I couldn't sleep last night my knee's hurt so much.

I've got my appointment to see the orthopaedic surgeon in four weeks and I'm hoping that he will list me for surgery then.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ah I am sorry you couldn't fully enjoy your holiday. If you have pain reflief take it regularly, it is easier to stay on top of pain than get back on top of it, this is also vital post op, sleep at night is hard and even harder post op, take pain relif at bedtime, , sme people sleep with a pillow between their legs. Ice is a godsend get a bag peas, wrap in a towel put on for 20 mins every hour and elevate your leg. See your gp if you need stronger pain relief and good luck with consultant. take care x
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

Just a quick one.

I use a pillow case for the ice or the bag of peas and I find it more user friendly and more effective (colder quicker) than the towel.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

Good idea, I only used peas for a few days, my daughter got me a double sized ice pack in a cover from amazon, it came with two packs so one on and one in freezer, a good investment which i will keep for next time.

​Night Alan

• Posted

Hi,

That is a real pity, in such a beautiful place.

How are you now?

Alan

• Posted

I did the same thing.  Dubrovnik first.  Had a B&B at the top of the hill. Actually counted 156 steps. Luckily it was several steps then flat area then down and return up again and again. My knee not too bad at that time, since replaced, but will never forget those steps. Locals must be used to them.  Ouch!
  • Posted

I counted 180 steps but in a way the steep slope going down was worse! I take 2x30mg codeine with X2 paracetamol up to three times a day then 2x30mg dihydracodeine just before bed as it helps me sleep. I also take amitriptyline which helps with sleep too. I used to take the dihydracodeine during the day but it made me really drowsy, I fell asleep at the wheel which terrified me so there's no way I'll take it other than nighttime now.

I feel as though I can't properly straighten my legs until I've been walking for a few minutes and when I first stand up I stagger and it's only my stick that keeps me up. I also have fibrmyalgia which causes severe muscle pain which doesn't help.

• Posted

Before my surgery I found it very difficult to walk from sitting, I had to try get up and then wait for a leg to wake up too, it was worse in morning, it took a good 10-15 mins to waken it,

can you not ring and see if consultant can see you sooner maybe a cancellelation.

​Take care x

• Posted

I rang to ask if I could go on the cancellation list only to be told that there wasn't such a thing. I can't believe how quickly things have deteriorated and how much more pain I'm in since march this year. I had to pay privately to see the orthopaedic surgeon as my doctor wouldn't refer me as I'm only 56. The consultant said that age isn't the issue, pain and quality of life is. He put me on his nhs list and I will hopefully have the tkr on the nhs as we cannot afford to pay privately. If we could afford it I'd have it done tomorrow.
    • Posted

Age plays such a part in getting referred/getting op done. I am only 50 and consultant kept saying i was too young, could i wait but my knee had been getting progressively worse over 5 years with the biggest deteriotion from Sept 15- till I had my op n march. I was seen by a consultant on NHS who told me i needed tkr but he said he did not do them but would refer me to one who did. This was in Sept.  I rang the waiting list in Nov to see when he would see me and was told maybe March or April. I too paid privately to see consultant and got appt in Dec. He put me on NHS waiting list for tkr and said it wolud be up to a year, again i rang to see if then be put on a cancellation list to be told lots on it and then i asked how long ....at least 15 months. so that would be april17. in Feb i rang his private consultant and asked to go private. it was a big decision but my quality of life was really bad, I could not have gone on and i know i would not have been here next year, I could not have gone on taking all the meds...5 different types including 2 morphine based. they zonked me out, couldnt wake in morning and then took me forever to do anything, was in bed at 8 each night. I was a horrible person in everyway to everyone. My husbandand i took a loan out and I know not everyone can do that but for my life it has been the best decision we have made in a long time. we know we will be paying for it for years but i am on the road to getting my life back.  It is and has been a long tough road but it is getting better, and the one thing that has helped has been the total support of my wonderful husband who admitted after the surgery he did not realise just how much I had been suffering until he came into hospital and said he got a wee smile from me...something he said he had not seen for a very long time. I can really feel for you and hope something get sorted out for you, take care.
    • Posted

HI Grandma Dylan,

The story about your health system is a disgrace. No politician would ever have to wait that long.

Your husband on the other hand is fantastic, you're story is heartwarming that you are so together.

I wish you both the best always.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hey, hang in there. Try and find something that ill take your mind off the pain for a little. I know it sucks being a lot of pain. I'm hardly sleeping at night due to the pain im in with my knee. If I find something that helps me sleep, ill let you know. God bless 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.