Can't cope with this anymore

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wrote on here before , but am losing the bloody will here. I have a slipped disc waiting to see surgeon. Which it's been 2 weeks and no letter , got told by my physio to try and do things but gently . So I have been walking every day , been pottering round house even drove me car for 10 min's after not driving for 3 months . Not done anything heavy ..... And now I feel I got back to the flipping beginning the pain in me back and me leg , I stand up and have just stand there till pain gone which doesn't last long . I just can't belive this 3 months and now gone backwards . Am at the end of me mind..... all I done is cry me job on the line as well I can't cope

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna

I have just lost my job through my back problems and have just received my appointment at hospital but mine has been going on for years. I really know what your going through because it's a pain that nothing can control. I found heat packs helped a little but I am now on tramadol which to be fair only just takes the edge off. Take things easy and I hope you get your appointment through soon x

• Posted

See this is what I don't want is to lose me job I have always worked can't think of anything worse. Also they gave me tramadol physio said do not take this drug as it's a nasty drug . So me I been taking ibrophen and cocodamals and have a hot water bottle as that helps . Thank you so much for replying it helps me when I know other ppl are going threw the same as me or worse and I so feel for you all

• Posted

Hi Donna to be honest I personally think tramadol is a wonder drug although I do take it alongside amytriptilline too due to fibromyalgia but I know a lot of people can't tolerate it. There are lots of people here to help support you and it's nice just to have someone listen too you. You take care x

• Posted

Hi Donna

When did you last see your GP? If the surgeon is taking a long time then try your GP. He or she can prescribe you some oral steroids (probably Prendnisone). Before my op I had bad sciatica on progressing paralysis in my calf. I started on 80mg then tapered down to nothing over about 10 days. I found these really helped my sciatica and stopped the paralysis getting any worse. I had a ruptured herniation so my main problem was inflammation and they can help this in the short term (a few weeks maybe). Less inflammation should mean less pain.

Longer term, you need to fix the herniation, either with physio (long shot but might be doable after steroids) or else an op.

Hope this helps

• Posted

See doctor 2 weeks ago , am ringing hospital tomorrow and see if I am any nearer to see surgeon. If not I make another appointment see doctor thanks for all your help
  • Posted

Hi,I can relate to the way you are feeling.My doctor has requested that I see a surgeon .I have been told there is a 8 week waiting list.

Meanwhile been told to keep active keep working and keep things normal. I am in agony everyday losing the feeling in my leg severe pain in my back not able to walk.I have tried steriod injections,hot/cold packs back support physio and many painkillers but nothing has worked.

Hope you hear soon.

• Posted

I can't wait 8 weeks for a letter I be out me mind my life has stopped coz this I can't belive it I really can't ....thanks for replying

• Posted

Hi Donna

I totally understand your frustrations, my life at the moment bears no resemblance to my normal active, busy life. I have been signed off work since end of august last year. The horrendous pain, lack of sleep, side effects of drugs and being unable to drive any longer than 5 minutes at a time. Yes, also I worry about my job, although they have been ok up till now, I worry about not getting a date for my surgery soon as I know I will need time at the other end to recover and build up my strength again. With regards to your appointment I would phone the hospital and check they received your referral. I waited about 8 weeks after the orthopaedic consultant decided to refer me to neurosurgeon. I would also speak to your gp and try to get a combination of medication to try to help you feel a bit more in control that will help. Personally, I can't take tramadol but everyones different. I am on gabapentin, dihydracodeine, baclofen, paracetamol and pain patches. Hopefully between us all we can support each of us through this. Stay strong, phone the hospital and get back to gp for better pain management.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply , yea am gonna see what hospital says and see if am any nearer to getting a appointment . And am gonna ring go back to doctors as well , was on loads of drugs at the beginning, and physio said there no need for all them drugs so gave me another drug which is a antidepressant which can help this condition. My argument on that was it made me sleep but wake up on morning and pain was still there so what's the point of that ?

• Posted

Hi Donna Hope you manage to contact someone about your appointment. I know exactly how you feel. I have had back problems for yrs and not surprised with all the abuse my back has had. 8 weeks ago one morning I could not walk and the pain in my back and leg was horrendous. After 6 weeks was nearly better apart if I walked too far . Then did it again but would have helped if I had known I had a slipped disc!! in the first place So despaired to be back to the beginning again and worse than before, it seems to take over your life . I have a large slip at L4 but am slowly starting to feel better. I have other issues with my back and I am 61 so think surgery for me would be the last option. Hope talking to others does help as pain can be a very lonely place x
    • Posted

Hiya thank for your reply , I have a slipped disc and they told me to do things but very lightly which I been doing . Got me self out the house and take a slow walk , I just know when I walked for to long even like 10 mins and the pain there and am lipping. And for the rest of the day am in pain , it's spasming and have a burning sensation. Even putting a wash on hurts , can't belive that my life has stopped be coz of this . I feel am living in a nightmare I cry all the time . Wish I could afford to go private coz the waiting game is awful over 3 months and am at the same point I was before . I hope you get yours sorted am gonna go doctors Thursday I can't go sooner coz I can't drive that far and have wait for someone to take me . Am 46 years old and have to relay on ppl.

• Posted

Contact pals complaint s line at yr hospital where yr surgeon is . Email them explaining yr dispar . I've used them 2 times with speedy results .

• Posted

Jessica thank you , I will look into this . And see if I get any were with this . Am waiting for a phone call from hospital but if I don't hear today then I be ringing them myself and also gonna go back to doctor tgursday. There got be someone that can help me and tell me how long I have to wait . 3 months and am in the same situation, can't belive I thought it was better am so depressed

• Posted

I had so little faith in my consultant at my nhs hospital. (Plus he was only a rheumatologist) I needed a neurosurgeon. That I went back to my doctor in tears and asked to be referred to the private hospital via the nhs. It was done no problem and that fact most of my MRI s ect hAd already been done, speeded things up, as then all the new consultant had to do was request a copy of them. Best thing I ever did now iam getting some where fast. U have a right to be treated at a private hospital via the nhs . Don't let any one tell u different. Good luck

• Posted

I had my mri at a private hospital , well am going back to doctor this week . And it won't take me a lot to cry , are you better now ? What did u have done ?

• Posted

No not better waiting on spinal fusion. I have a string of other he's issues too. Fibromyalgia, hyper mobility, inflammatory joint diease ect. Degenerative disc diease. So while an op might help with the chronic pain and allow me to sit and eAt a meAl, with my family. (Which is something that should be enjoyable) but not when yr in chronic pain. I still have other things I will have to live with for the rest of my life.

• Posted

Oh Jessica , there me moaning and going out me mind with all this and there you with all these problems . My heart goes out to you I don't know how you cope

• Posted

It's extremely difficult and debilitating and I have me down days . But trying not to let this beat me mentally. My thoughts to my self is there s always some one worse of than me. While it's no consultation for us who suffer it's a fact . Chin up

• Posted

Jessica I have to thank you very much , I was on phone to the NHS yesterday to see were this appointment was for me . And I kept on again today as well . Well the physio had not faxed it over to them that was on the 6 th Jan. So today the hospital have been on there case and they have said sorry for not faxing it over . Am so glad I rang and thanks for your advice got appointment next Thursday . And am going doctors tomorrow to sort out pain relief as well as this week pain been bad . I have actually just sat here and cried that my be just my be there sort this out for me . Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.