can't get water to go down

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else have trouble with water or liquids in general? When i drink any liquids they just don't go down. This was confirmed by the barium swallow which showed most of the barium concoction in my esophagus after 5 minutes. I threw it up later since it just never went down.

Oddly enough i have found that eating dense foods like bread and then swallowing lots of water and air and sort of jumping around helps me get both food and water down. (What a life, eh?)

But when i drink water....nothing goes down. When i eat food...nothing goes down. It has to be together. And food like salads, eggs, smoothies, ice cream...they just don't work. I barely even try anymore. It's been this bad for about two years.

Good news is that doctors have moved up all my appointments. I'm hoping to get surgery soon as its very frustrating to not be able to have a sip of water on its own. rolleyes

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the same issue and I'm sure many others will say the same thing.  I was eating finely ground beef and sausage, then eggs and soup, then could barely get soup down so added protein shake to help compensate for nutrition.  You should avoid trying to force food down as it will stretch your esophagus and limit the benefits of the surgery.  Also, the surgery will not fix this, it will just make life more bearable.  I’m two months since my surgery and can eat eggs and have tried small amounts of ground meat which seems to be going well as long as I don’t eat too much.  I hope they get you in soon.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I admit i am hoping surgery will bring me back to 100%. I guess that is not always realistic. I have to believe surgery will get back to at least 60%. It would change my life! I am staying positive and hopeful though...wishing you the best too.
    • Posted

Your experience with food and water is typical.   If you look on the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under the Oesophagus and Achalasia, you will find, towards the bottom of the page, a download facility for A Patient's Guide to Achalasia that contains details of other experiences with food and drink.

• Posted

Thanks Alan. I looked that up and its a nice resource. It seems you wrote it? If so thank you. I appreciate this forum. It's been very comforting to know I am not alone.

• Posted

Yes, I did, with lots of help from people who suffer from the condition!
  • Posted

I have the same issue and have found the jumping up and down also helps and, in fact, improves all following swallowing.  But, in genereal, I follow the guidelines set by the chinese clinical study regarding "hot water therapy".  It has been my saviour from getting surgery.  I can get by without it because of my constant compainion -- a container of hot water that I drink before, during, and after meals.

• Posted

I would be interested to learn more about the 'hot water therapy'.   You cannot put internet links on here, but you can send them if you send a direct message (click on the little envelope icon) bsdie one's name.   Or otherwiose describe it enough to help a google search?

Thanks

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.