Can't kneel or hunker.

Posted , 11 users are following.

3 months post op and have great difficulty kneeling and getting up when I do manage to kneel. Today I tried to hunker to put in some daffodil bulbs and fell over on op side. I had to slde over to a strong shrub to get up. No damage done. On the plus side I cut some very long grass today tho feeling stiff tonight.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes kneeling and squatting are my main problems even at 5 months. I bought myself a kneeler available at good hardware stores in Australia but also available from Amazon. Mine when turned over becomes a stool (the handles become the legs) Its well padded with foam and has been marvelous as I am a keen gardener and it has allowed my to plant up my vegetable patch (its spring here in Oz) Hope this helps - I have just started to be able to get up without hanging on to some thing but the kneeler makes it so much easier and safer.  Gillian
    • Posted

Thank you Gillian. I was getting worried that I was not progressing and it is good to read that others are the same. What's the kneeled called. It sounds like a great idea.
  • Posted

Hi attractac, 

I still am far away from kneeling or hunkering - some exercises I am supposed to do on the floor I do on my bed instead - I just cannot get up - I can, but it is soooo much effort and takes forever - 

not much help huh?

just be careful out there and rest when you need to ... well, you know the drill -

good job on cutting all grass though 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee. How's your second hip doing. I'm feeling the effect of grass cutting on my back this morning!! Had to accept that age is catching up on me and I'm not as fit as pre oa.

Warm hugs to you too.

• Posted

Hi I still can't kneel or sqwat, I asked the physio about this yesterday and he toldme not to try until after 6 months. I am 20 weeks at the moment. Hope this helps and hope everyone is feeeling ok Love Gill xx
    • Posted

Thanks Gill. I'm seeing physio for first time on Monday so I'm hoping for some help. Hope you are doing well.
  • Posted

Hi attractac I've attached a photo of mine its called a folding kneeling bench I bought it in the gardening section of a large hardware chain in Australia. L believe you can buy them on ebay or Amazon. Sorry I can't be of any more help.  Gillian
  • Posted

sqatting,  is on my never ever to do again list,

as is crossing legs at the knees

Kneeling I can do slowly

• Posted

I was 1 year post op on 1st Oct and only recently been able to kneel or hunker with comfort and ability to get back up easily. So hang on in there. I found a lot of small but noticeable changes across the year. 

Good luck, Whalie

• Posted

HI, I'm 5 months post Op and still use a chair to kneel to the floor, crawling isn't a problem but I still use the chair to pull back up. I guess time will tell.
  • Posted

Hi well done you!! But I would use a kneeler at all times. Its still not great at getting up and I am over 6 months post op ! We are all different at healing. Regards Amanda 
  • Posted

I too am three months post op. Really been afraid to get down on the floor but the other day one of my rabbits went under the bed so I was forced to get down and call him. Let me explain that my left knee is a total knee replacement and it never feels right kneelin gon it. My right hip is the three month out surgery. Well I got down and made it up but could not believe how weak I still was. Rabbit followed me back to the living area.

• Posted

Kneelers are fantastic for gardening- takes the strain out of getting up and down - would Dec recommend. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.