Can't sleep

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm 8 days THR and finding it hard to get any sleep on my back , last night I slept 2 hours and they were broken hence I feel washed out now and no motivation to get moving , Ive been prescribed paracetamol and codeine 30 mg but haven't needed it as often these last few days , I know if I up the pain meds it might help me sleep a bit but don't know if I should if I don't need them for pain I guess I would be using them as a sedatives

Any advice welcome

Hope you're all having a good day !

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angie 

This was my main worry after having a new hip of ( 13 weeks today) 

I tried for months before my op to sleep on my back just could not sleep for longer than a few minutes before having to roll over on my stomach/sides 

Amazingly I have been sleeping so well. I sit propped up with a pillow behind me and a v pillow ( pulled down slightly ) and a new good memory foam pillow besides me each side, to ensure I don't roll over in my sleep . I still put a small pillow low down between my lower legs as I found I had a tendency to cross my a legs over , I feel so comfortable sleeping like this I may never sleep any other way . 

( scared to try side or stomach now incase I do some damage , bit of a coward ) 

i find if the room is really cool too it's easier to sleep ( like 15 degrees ) 

i know a lot of people do have trouble on their backs. , hope this is of some help to you.

Hope you get comfortable soon .

with best wishes

Suzie 

• Posted

Hi Angie, It is a well known problem in the early days. All you can do is make yourself as comfortable as possible and then get a nap in during the day to catch up a bit.

I'm an old hippie now (13 months and 5 months) and understand what you are going through, but I promise you, it will be worth it in the end.

• Posted

I too found it difficult to sleep on my back. Pillow between the knees helped. I found a comfortable position lying on the other hip. A bit like recovery position, with operated leg bent and a pillow between knees and lower leg so I couldn't flip over. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Dear Angie, most of us had problem with sleeping. I wake up

every couple hours and it was so hard slept for me on back.

I was so tired. I still find hard to have a good night sleep, still

wake up least 3 times during the night. Rest and sleep during the days as well. When you feel to sleep than sleep. It will get better with time .i was alowed sleep on non operated side after two weeks and after 6 weeks both side with pilows between the legs. After 9 weeks without pilows. Now i dont mind sleping on the back i get use too.Angie rest when you tired ,sleep even during the day. Sleeping is part of recovery. If you in pan take the tablets .

I drink glass of hot milk every evening it help little bit.

You have a big operation and not sleeping go with it. Read the

book,watch the movie, Soon will get better with sleeping you will see. Take care big hug Madla💗

PS i was same Angie no motivation , wash out but still try to moving and try do excersice . I feel with you.?

• Posted

Hi Angie York

I am on day 7 and have only had broken nights sleep as I find sleeping on my back so hard! I have propped up pillows and I am finding it a bit easier to sleep propped up! Take your pain meds if it helps you sleep as a good sleep is so important!

Try taking a nap during the day and do talk to your doc and see what they say!

Keep going as it will get better! This forum is so helpful and there is a video on you tube for hypnosis to try and help you sleep! Going to try it tonite to see will it help!

Sending you hugs and hope sleep comes to you

• Posted

hi angie, 

unfortunately this is one of the most common problems post-op THR surgery ...

Many factors can affect the quality of sleep after this major surgery including discomfort due to pain or restricted leg movements -

sleep is important to the recovery process - too soon we want to get rid of the pain medication however it should be fully followed to ensure an adequate recovery.

Pain medication work on different levels, you see ... 

and when you take them as prescribed , you'll be ahead of the pain, so to speak -

This is how it was explained to me ...

Also stopping or taking less might have some withdrawel effects ...  

take care, darling ... and let us know how you are getting on okay ...

for now, just go with it ...accept that it is sucky and that is okay 

big warm hug

renee

Pain meds do have a sedative effect as wel ..it will relax you ... don't worry about getting addicted ...

maybe you can call your doctor and ask ....

• Posted

Thankyou for your comforting words Renee I have taken what was prescribed tonight even though the pain isn't as bad I agree that sleep is healing and refreshing so hopefully tonight will be much better , hope you have a good night too

God Bless ya , Angie

• Posted

Hi Angie

Im due to have my op on Monday. At Physios meeting last week I was told that all restrictions have now been lifted and that I can lie on back and sides after op whichever is comfortable. Apparently this has been since 1st November 2016. I dont know if this is the same all over the uk or just in certain areas.

• Posted

I had my op on 5th jan and was also given no restrictions.i said to the physio 'what if i drop something on the floor'? To which she replied 'you bend down and pick it up'.

• Posted

I was told restrictions by the hospital, but my own physio said they were out of date, so I went with her advice - do things with caution, and if they hurt you then stop doing it. Worked fine.
    • Posted

Hi Susan im not in UK but here in Australia when i have my op

6 weeks restrictions, but some hospital can be diferent and

also some areas. I had only two weeks to sleep on back than

Iwas alowed sleep on non operated side.

Good luck with operation.

Hug Madla 💗

• Posted

Hi Susan Thankyou that's very interesting I will ring my PT tomorrow and ask what they recommend I'm just going by what they told me after 1st THR now they may suggest that is not the case anymore

They made me shower 10 hours after surgery last time I felt awful and would leaked daily , would you believe they don't encourage that now thank the good lord but sometimes don't pass on to patient which isn't good practice .

Good Luck for Monday , you'll soon be on the post op side and looking forward to a pain free future

Best Wishes Ange

• Posted

If you aren't sleeping you are bound to feel washed out!

?I had this problem before the OP as I couldn't sleep on my side due to osteonecrosis pain, and couldn't sleep on my back full stop. I tried the normal pillow advice and that worked fine for a time but wasn't good enough, so after a lot of searbing I found one manufactured specifically for us hippies. Works fine, and I adore it. Definitely my best ever buy. I can't post a link here but I will message it to you.

• Posted

Hi beth2509

Can u message that to me too as that sounds fantastic

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.