Can't stand antipsychotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I was on rispirdone for psychosis and it did work for voices etc, but I found the side effects and numbness awful after getting better. I came off them a month ago and my doctor said I will get ill again, but I can't stand being a zombie. I am bi polar and am taking lithium and citalopram. I just want to be antipsychotics free.

I feel so much better off the rispiridone and have motivation and am interested in stuff again and my sense of humour is back.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I was on Latuda for bipolar depression. My anxiety went from bad to worse. I had fear all of the time and thought I was going to die. I felt like I could not function. The anxiety was on an all time high, I was zombie like and had this fear I was going to die any minute. I stopped taking latuda cold turkey and two days later I no longer had fear. I felt so much better and getting better everyday. The anxiety is there but no where near where it was. I will let my doctor know I stopped the medication and that I will never take anti psychotic medication again! You have to decide whats best for you. Talk to your doctor and see if there are other alternatives. Wish you well!

• Posted

Thanks for replying. The doctor has no idea how they turn you into a zombie, with side effects and anxiety. Hope you get on okay too being off antipsychotics.
    • Posted

I was on Latuda for about 4 or 5 months. At 40 mg I felt extremely anxious. After my doc went up on the dosage to 80mg I began to be so anxious I prayed to fall asleep! I took the 80 mg hoping the side effects would go away. When I told my doctor, he added 100 mg of vistaril and that pushed me to an anxiety place I'd never been to. It was horrific and the fear, intense. I kept wanting to run to the emergency room of fear I was going to die. I decided, that's it! I stopped the latuda and vistaril. Now I am only on lamictal and prozac. So far, so good.
    • Posted

It is interesting how differently we react to medication. I had the same reaction to Prozac 20 years ago that you describe having with Latuda yet 60 mg of Latuda (20 at dinner and 40 later in the evening) works well for me. I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type, childhood onset.
    • Posted

Yes, we all react differently to medication. At first, Latuda worked well. After three weeks I began to notice terrible anxiety. When the doctor went up on the dosage, I thought it would go back to when I first began taking it and feel great. It went from bad to worse! It's too bad because I thought I'd finally found a medication for my bipolar. I'm so glad it's working for you :-)
  • Posted

Hi

I know exactly what you mean, I couldn't sit still and the anxiety was awful. Now am off that has gone. I will ask my doctor about alternatives, but I am sensitive to antipsychotics, so I don't know.

• Posted

Louise, I can relate. I've been on various combinations then off for 20 years. I finally ran into a situation where instead of walking me out the door for my deteriorating peformance/behavior and handed a check, a company asked me take disability. I hadn't slept much in about 5 months but  still waited a week or so to take some Seraquel. I was counting the days because I'd almost gone 1000 without it, Lamictol, and Trazedone. I took some, slept and felt like a zombie the next day .I met with my meds doc two weeks later. She gave me Latuda.I don't mean to advertise or it because I've heard that it hasn't worked for others but six weeks into it, the only thing that's different, besides the silence, is that I now drink something with caffiene in it to kick start my day. Like most people know, I am now not a morning person. Otherwise, I think clearly and I haven't noticed much of a drop in recall or processing ability. I reach a little bit more for words than I did but its hardnly noticeable. The only reason I notice it is that I write 2000-3000 words per day in blogs and personal corresponance.
    • Posted

Hi Leturos

Thanks for replying. I am gonna stick to my lithium and citalopram, and if I get ill again will try a different antipsychotic. I was told by my cpn nurse that I am sensitive to antipsychotics.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.