Can't stop fearing the worst

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a car accident in May, suffering with PTSD and severe health anxiety. Have an 8 month old baby who the thought of leaving is unbearable. My dad died when I was 11 from pancreatic cancer quickly in five weeks. I keep thinking I have various illnesses: DVT, brain tumour, bone cancer, skin cancer, MS. Currently started the gym and having severe aches and stabbing pains in arms and legs. Went to a and e with chest pain and short of breath, all tests came back fine including ecg and X Ray. Gp done lots of tests can't find anything wrong with me was his exact words. Pains go at night and I sleep well. Please any advice? Waiting for nhs counselling. Constantly seeing doctor (1-2 times a week!) worrying about bulging veins or pains. Trying mindfulness and exercise. Any tips or advice? Please thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

because you lost your Dad suddenly, I think you are transferring every kind of possible illness on yourself.  If you can realize this then things may improve themselves. It is  a health anxiety and many people get it following a loved ones death and wish death or illness on themselves because they cannot cope with the situation.
  • Posted

I agree with Richard that it is anxiety...CLASSIC SYMPTOMS!!!!! We have all had these very same crazy thoughts and fears, Yes, all of us. You are not alone, Rosemary, and have come to the right place.

You need to check with your doctor, who, hopefully understands anxiety, (many don't) and see about, at least at first, getting on anti anxiety meds. And keep coming here for encouragement and information on how to help yourself, and to understand more about the condition. Knowledge is power. Right now you feel powerless because you didn't know what you were dealing with. Now you do, and can start doing something about it, dear girl. Let us know how it goes.wink

• Posted

Oh thank you so much. Tonight I've been having electric shock feelings so worrying about MS. My doctor offered citalopram and diazepam.

• Posted

Considering your original message, I would very strongly agree with anti anxiety meds. Ask your doctor which would be most effective for anxiety, and get your little butt on it, Rosemary. wink The right med changed my life by clearing all the fearful junk enough that I could begin to help my self even more. I learned those things right here. Welcome to the forum.

One day, probable sooner than you think, you will be on line here helping others with this thing....if you want to.confused Let us know what's going on...we do care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.