Can't take Iron tablets......

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone... I had blood tests done about 4 weeks ago and they came back that I'm anemic, my iron is half than what it should be. So I was given iron tabs to take, I've tried both ferrous fumate and ferrous gluconate in different doses and they just don't agree with me. I know iron is well known to upset your tummy but for me it's even worse as I suffer with a hiatus hernia plus I have trouble with my acid anyway. So I can no longer take these iron tablets as I'm in lots of pain with my tummy. I am waiting on hearing from the doc to see what they can do next for me. Somehow they need to get the iron into me without upsettting my tummy.

i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this....

any advise would be much appreciate smile

thank you 

sarah

xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,  you are officially the first person I've ever responded to in this manner. And I hope what I'm about to share will be hopeful.  I too just returned from the dr's ofc today where my blood tests showed iron was down to 16.  Normal should be around 200. Which explain the enormous hair loss, fatigue and about 20 other symptoms.  But due to my blood type, iron makes me very sick. So today I went to the organic health store and was helped by two professionals there.  They handed me a bottle made by Solar called Gentle Iron and below that says (iron bisglycinate) 25 MG. the also said I needed to include a great fish oil, Omega 3 for the iron to be processed into the cells correctly and that was made by Nordic Naturals; Ultimate Omega 1280 mg Omega 3.

ive taken two of each (dr said to double up on iron for at least 3 wks), and so far no yucky tummy problems and it's been 3 hours ago. 

Unfortunately iron makes me extremely sleepy but anything is better than feeling dead.  Ha

i hope you find some relied.  I've also purchased vegetarian iron tablets frim Amazon. They were chewables. You might want to try those....as for me, they made me sleepy. Ugh

Good Luck and God Bless. Shanon 

• Posted

I have iron deficiency anemia and my doctor prescribed Slow Fe. It's easy on the stomach and sold over the counter. I haven't had any stomach problems from it other than a little bloating. Hope that helps.
  • Posted

I'm not sure where you live, but I was just recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia and it was suggested by my doctor to take a liquid iron called Floradix Iron + Herbs.  I'm very sensitive to meds so this type of iron is very forgiving to my stomach and I have not had any problems taking it so far.  You can buy it at a local organic/natural store.
    • Posted

I went back to my doctor a couple of weeks ago and he's trying me with a liquid iron called sytron, that seems to be working and I'm not getting any tummy problems with it which is what I needed. Nothing worse than having tummy troubles and having to take medicines for other things. Glad it is working for you smile it is also working for me at the mo (thumbs up) smile thank you for taking your time to reply much appreciated xx

sarah xx

• Posted

Hmm, mayday35's comment was a bit silly and makes no sense.  SOOO, how is your iron liquid doing for you? Mine is doing good so far.  I have more energy, not a lot but more than I had a week ago.  I hope you are doing better Sarah! smile 
    • Posted

There comments been deleted anyway, very sad person!! I'm doing ok with my liquid iron it seems to be doing the job, still get abit of acid reflux from time to time but no way as bad as the tabs. Thanks for asking smile That's good am glad it's working for you smile I'm the same and the light headedness has gone as well (thumbs up) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.