Can this condition cause elevated bilirubin levels?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am not diagnosed with this condition, but have been having some issues with my health recently and have been to many doctors and noone can seem to find anything. I started feeling dizzy, nauseous, issues with blood flow to my brain (when I stand up I frequently get that feeling like you will pass out and sometimes see spots), itchy when I take warm bath / sleep under covers too long, numbness and cold in hands and feet, strange taste comign from nose / sinus cavity, shortness of breath, etc.

I had blood tests come back with mildly elevated total bilirubin, mildly elevated direct bilirubin (conjugated), and mildly elevated hematocrit. I am wondering if this condition can cause the elevated bilirubin levels. I am still searching for something that is wrong with me, because I feel terrible sometimes!! Any response is worthwhile, thanks!

Justin

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to note that I have had ultrasound with gastroenterologist, and everything is fine with my liver (all other enzymes are normal, etc.) Only thing out of whack is the bilirubin elevation.
  • Posted

Hello, sorry to hear of your condition. I have PV but don't suffer from the dizziness you are describing, but we are all different.

I get headaches, itchy under my feet, red blotchy skin on my face, on warafin for bloodclot in liver, get a very annoying pain in my leg at night.

I hope you find out what is causing your symptoms. Alot of PV sufferers carry JAK2 but not everyone.

• Posted

There does seem to be a problem with your health but I feel that PV is not the answer.  Bilirubin appears to be connected with red blood cell pigmentation whilst PV is an issue with red cell production.  One can never be sure where medical problems are concerned but I'd suggest you check with a haematologist as they are really the only ones with the medical experience required to deal with PV, it is such a rare disorder.  Maybe your answers lie elsewhere, e.g. circulation, cardiology or anything else related to your symptoms.  Not having PV should be a real positive.  Hope you can get it sorted soon.  Good luck.  Having had PV for many years I have not come across any connection with bilirubin before, but who knows?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.