Can you catch it from non sexual contact

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi,

my my sister has just been informed that her partner has given her herpes. She has been staying at my house this weekend and it has really made me worry that she might have passed it on to me. She has used my bath, toilet and towels. Is this possible? I have researched it but some say different to others.

thanks,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Bath and toilet, no. Towel in contact with lesions that you then also used immediately afterwards whilst still damp, possibly. That is for genital herpes and applies to both types.
    • Posted

Thanks, I don't think I used the towel. Mine are all the same colour and I'm not sure where she put the one she used. Even if I did, you have suggested that it is unlikely. It's puts my mind at ease. I'm just a worrier that's all. So would you say it is very unlikely?

Thanks

• Posted

Non-sexual transmission of genital herpes requires close timing, enough viable virus on the object, and direct contact with a susceptible entry point (like broken skin or mucos membranes). This makes it very unlikely for genital herpes to spread non-sexually, as herpes tends not to survive well beyond the host, is easily destroyed by soap, and it's unlikely for all of the above factors to align. So, no, you don't need to worry. The only potential concern is immediately used, still damp towels (or underwear, swimsuit bottoms, etc.).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.