Can you get a frozen shoulder at the age of 12

Posted , 4 users are following.

can you get a frozen shoulder at the age of 12. my daughter is 12 and is complaning of a very sore shoulder. it has been 2 months and she is very restricted in her movements. she has had a X-ray and an ultersound. she has a broken collarbone as well. what should i do.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So sorry about your daughters shoulder. From what I've read it is most commonly seen in women ages 40 to 70 but there are certainly younger women and men who get it so I'm sure it's probably possible in your daughter. Does she have any other health issues such as diabetes, autoimmune disease, or thyroid disease? These are some things that can up the risk of getting FS so make one more susceptible.

Mine also started after a collarbone fracture, likely from the immobilization. Dr at first thought it was residual stiffness but then became clear to him it was FS. I also have autoimmune disease and believe that played a role. Found an interesting article about that recently stating that in some people the immobilization after fracture will trigger an autoimmune response that results in FS.

At two months out and 12 years old I would think she should be very close to complete healing with fracture. Could be some residual stiffness from fracture. Is a dr following her fracture? I would definitely take her to dr for evaluation. At the least I would think she needs a current xray to see status of the fracture and a manual exam of her shoulder and ROM and go from there.

• Posted

Meant to add to keep us posted.
    • Posted

she has just resently fallen on it again and went to emergancy but there was no fracture. she has been going to a doctor adn he recomended the MRI and X-ray.
  • Posted

Google "broken collarbone in children"; it clearly states painful movement etc. Surely the doctors must have weighed in. What have they told you?  I had an x-ray when I had frozen shoulder only to rule out other problems (according to the orthopedist). The FS itself does not show up in an x-ray; not sure about ultrasound. Possibly because it is thickening of tissue that adheres the shoulder. The medical terminology is adhesive capsulitis.

• Posted

Very uncommon, but it can happen. My doctor had a 9 year old with FS.

• Posted

she has just recently had a MRI and another X-ray. her collar bone has healed almost but still very sore. she has 4 tendents inflamed and thickend. she is going to a specilist to she whether she needs surgery or not. but the doctor thinks she will just need a needle to get all of the tendents moving.
  • Posted

JET,

Twelve year olds never get frozen shoulder. Someone mentioned their doctor had see a 9 year old with one. Next we will have them born with it. Now a twelve year old with a fractured clavicle will be very loath to move the shoulder as the fractured ends will rub together and give pain. In the "Old Days" xrays were never taken and a figure of eight strapping was applied.  Nowadays both children and adults are subjected to VOMIT, victims of medical imaging technology. So an MRI, xray, ultrasound perhaps surgery and or injections all for a stiff shoulder caused because of a fractured  clavicle. In this day and age I suppose we must rule out this or that and be defensive. Remember not one MRI in history is said to be normal, a radiologist can always find some abnormality. Worse still a doctor might want to do something about it.

• Posted

the news has came back and she has got a frozen shoulder. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.