Can you give someone genital herpes if you're taking acyclovir?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay so I'm taking acyclovir as a suppressant so I take it twice daily so I'm not having any outbreaks. Can I give someone herpes while on this if I have unprotected sex? I've had unprotected sex while on it but nobody has said anything so I don't think I've given it to anyone but I don't want to risk it. Any advice???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think whilst on meds and with no symptoms theres a 10% chance of passing it on smile

• Posted

There is still a minimal risk of sexual transmission should you experience breakthrough shedding. The risk is very low, but can't be said to be zero. This applies to genital HSV2. If genital HSV1, the risk would be negligible on the correct daily meds, as it is already far less infectious even without the meds.

• Posted

What is the difference between HSV-1 & HSV-2??? Honestly thought 1 was oral and 2 genital ... it's late and i remain confused

• Posted

The number denotes the virus type, not the location of infection. You can get both types in either location, although HSV1 is more commonly oral and HSV2 genital. More young people are getting HSV1 genitally, however, due to no immunity and oral sex.
  • Posted

Have not taken meds but truly believe this is passed with or without symptoms. From what i've read it is spread through skin to skin contact

• Posted

If you take antiviral therapy daily, then you should be fine because passing herpes from female to male is a lower risk then male to female. you can still pass it along don't get me wrong. But he may never even get it. I have been having sex with my boyfriend for months now while taking a Daily dose of valtrex 500mg and he's never said anything and he is clean hasn't had a beak out or anything & I haven't had any break outs since the first one. So there is hope.

• Posted

Do you two have uprotected sex?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.