Can you help, blood in stool. IBS Sufferer

Posted , 9 users are following.

First off sorry if i sound grumpy. I'm 22 and my life for the last 5 years has been illness with seemingly no cause. I've a bladder condition which is unknown, then a year into my illness my bowels decided to join the revolt against me. 

I was in constant pain, stomach always churning and bowel movements all over the place. My doctors ruled out the serious stuff and just said it must be IBS. They gave me buscopan tablets (84 a month!) and they do nothing for me. 

Anyway. about a year ago i started getting blood in my stool, fresh red blood which made me panic, the doctors said it's probably piles or an anal fissure. But these have been happening every few weeks now. It can't be normal to eperience this much rectal bleeding at 22 surely? 

Does anyone have any ideas, my life has been on hold so long i barely remember who i am. I'm desperate.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Okay the best thing to do is not to let it ruin your life. Second you need to speak with a professional, your primary doctor isn't really the best for situations like this. I recremend getting a scan of your abdomen, stomach, and get that thing where they check your butt. I'm only 17 so i don't know what the cause can be for this nor do i know anything that you can do to prevent it. All i can say is that you should really see a professional cause this is very serious or it can be simple as a stomach ucler (which is also bad). But trust me worrying about it 24\7 brings on bad anxiety and it's not worth the panic attacks man trust me.
  • Posted

Hi, first thing to keep in mind is do not panic, Am 28 now, i also have issues related with bowel. Gastric issue are not easy to fight coz once they get into the mind they dont usually go away that easy.. make sure that you are not thinking about them too much, do things and keep focus away from them, serously i had a bad time with them. 

Google or find out from friends or whoever, the best gastroenterogist around you. make note of everything you are experiencing, incase u might forget, kind of pains/observations which are regular and which are irregular but frequent. Tell your doctor everything about them. Get the tests or scans done even if u think its unnecessary better to take.

and also, just be aware of foods you are eating, there might be some foods which are allergic to you. try to avoid those.

Dont worry too much about them, good luck with your health. Hope there is nothing serious.

• Posted

You say Buscopan did nothing. Try Colpermin you can get them on prescription.

Do not accept doctors saying probably this or that. You need to know what this is and they need to be clear. If they do not know then better to say so than palm you off with a guess.

Hope this settles down.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi  You said youve a bladder condition also of unknown cause, do you mean pain or frequency, or blood in urine also, same with bowel problem, do you have any pain with it,  The bladder and bowel are so close they can aggrevate each other, Have the docs examined you or taken samples,  l agree that dont think its good enough for doc to just speculate about it being ibs, fissure, piles, l know its difficult as many on mbs who post  are battling for diagnoses, or even referrals, and it might not be anything serious, so try not to worry,  but better to tell the dr you want tests or need a referral unless he can confirm definite diagnosis from tests. Good luck
  • Posted

I'd ask to be referred to a gastro doc.  I too had bleeding, various amounts and colors for over a month.  I also have Diverticulitis.  Everytime I'd go to my GP he'd say the same thing, piles.  Finally got to the gastro and now am waiting for an appointment for colonoscopy.  Keep pushing for tests.  It's the only thing that's going to figure out what's going on.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.