can you help me understand

Posted , 3 users are following.

Iv been told today my lung is now growing somethink that begins with the letter A which is a Long word but can't say it iv read that some on hear have it and once your got it it don't go away and have to be on long term antibiotics. Can anyone gave me information on this please as I'm very scared now.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Aspergillus?
    • Posted

I'm not to sure the nurse never explan seem in a rush. All she said was that antboits only surpre s it and that if mucus show it still there in 7 days I would have to go back 8n hospital on iv antibiotics
  • Posted

The only other one I can think of is pseudomonas aeruginosa.

In order then... ABPA is allergic broncho pulmonary aspergillosis. The bug is everywhere but some people develop allergy symptoms in their lungs, so there's inflammation in the lungs. Then you have to manage it with steroids. Like many things in bronchiectasis, you don't cure it, you manage it. And it shouldn't then be too much of a problem.

If it's pseudomonas, then I'm afraid this bug is a bit of a sod. Very difficult to shift, lots of antibis and it has a habit of coming back. Sometimes people who have had bronchiectasis a long time can be more likely to get it. I don't know if that describes you?

Anyway, if it it's pseudomonas then yes, they probably will want you in hospital for a couple of weeks of intravenous antibiotics, followed by more antibiotics at home. The aggressive treatment they do now Is likely to get rid of it there and then you staying rid of it for a while.

So don't panic - recent studies that I have looked at show lung function about the same after treatment as before. So with early aggressive treatment it doesn't do much damage.

The bad bit is that pseudomonas is one of those bugs that is everywhere and that will only get a hold in you if there's already a problem - so if you get it once, you are likely to get it again.

I hope this is of some help

Cheers

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.