Can you help me with my Hernia.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 49 year old male. I have just been told I have a double Hernia in my groin both sides. I am a bit worried as I am having lots of problems. I am having lots of pain in my groin and also in one of my testicles plus I have got a swollen stomack with some pain. I also have nausea with acid. I also feel tired. Is this nomal as I am worried. Thank you. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds atypical in many ways of what I have heard of hernia. Not in the sense of the pain but in its suddeness and severity. Also, I've never experienced any stomach pain with groin (inguinal) hernia but perhaps it's radiating? Did you engage in some particularly strenous activity (moving furniture, etc.) before it happened?

I can say that while my first hernia was painless, I had moderate pain all through my mesh period, especially when bending down, etc. I then lugged a very heavy suitcase (my dumb) across continents and had a mesh repair failure (the mesh is still inside my body, but my doctor says it's not causing any harm). At that tdme I had a great deal of swelling and while I can't say either testicle itself hurt, the area around it did, due to the pressure. In fact, the pressure from the swelling made the whole groin area in general painful for a week or two. Resitng, and then light yoga relieved the swelling along with the sometimes cutting pain. I've had one flare up since then- again lugging something too heavy- but it was not as bad as the first time.

I don't know the physiology behind the swelling and pain; I just know in my case rest really helped, but it took a while. Now I'm very careful.

Feeling tired from any kind of trauma to the body is normal. Whether you will go on to have a repair soon or not I can't say- I'm sort of the odd man out here as I'm an advocate of watch and wait (like I said, I've already had one repair and I'm not anxious to have another on top of it if it didn't work the first time (and caused a good deal of stiffness and pain as well). Of course you will want to talk to your doc about it, but bear in my mind that most practioners want to do surgery right away regardless. Whatever your situation, I'd try to see if rest helps the swelling (if that's what is) and pain, and I'd get two medical opinions at least as well as reading about 'natural cures' on the Net. And i don't mean snake oil medicines or herbs but delicate physical therapy (I like yoga myself). I also believe that 'cure' is a misnomer and 'maintenence through physicial therepy' would be a better description. Whatever you choose to do, you have my support and best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your advice. Will let you know how I get on. 
  • Posted

No it is definitely not normal.  How was your hernias diagnosed?   Nausea, swollen stomach and pain can be signs that one or both hernias have become incarcerated and or strangulated, which means the blood supply is being cut off from whatever organ is being pushed up into the "hole".  I would see a doctor immediately. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will go back to the doctor. 

My double Hernia in my groin both sides was diagnosed via a ultrasound. I have been told pain in my groin is normal? and also in testicles with a groin hernia. Could I have a stomack bug? 

Thank you.

• Posted

sorry- missed this. so it sounds like the doc knows. the stomach pain is not 'normal' and if related to the hernia not good. but what kind of stomach pain are you experiencing?

if you think your doc may have missed something you might want a second opinion. pain in the groin, even severe pain reported by some, is normal in the groin area, though for some it is worse than others and many have no pain. i'd imagine it's from proximity to the nerve and swelling.

• Posted

Thanks yiayia, good point.

If you had bowel strangulation you would not be writing in these forums; you'd probably be desperatly begging to go the emergency room! Incarceration could, or would rather, produce abdominal pain among other symptoms. If the abdominal pain/nausea goes away you would not be suffering incareration but the only way to 'see' for sure is with a CT.

If the stomach pain continues I'd definitely go see the doc to see what's up with the pipes. Incarceration must be quite unpleasant to live with. I also would think it a precursor to strangulation but all the strangulation cases I've read about so far seem to happen suddenly.

Not to sound scary, most of us don't experience these things, but some do. You'll be fine I'm sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.