Can young girls use the copper IUD?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 19 year old girl and I am only sexually active with one person for 2 years.  I have been using the combined pill for about 1.5 years, however I want to stop now as I have a family history of breast cancer. I really like the idea of non-hormonal contraception as I am a bit of a hypochondriac and don't like the idea of hormones. 

I went to my GP today to discuss changing my pill, and she told me to take the Progesterone-only pill as it doesn't carry the risk of blood clots/breast cancer. However, I don't like the thought of not having periods at all which is common on the pop pill, as I like to be reassured I'm not pregnant. I feel really pressured to change to the POP pill even though I want regular periods, and I don't like the idea of the pill being a long-term contraception because of the hormones. 

When I brought up the copper IUD, she told me that its an option but the insertion would be really bad as I haven't even had a smear test, that my fallopian tubes could get infected and become infertile (which scared me but I don't know how true that is if you are in a monogamous r/s) and that teenage girls don't really have it. She kind of scared me from having it done incase I became infertile or my body is too 'young' and 'small' to manage it..

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hello love,

Sounds like I was in the same situation as you. 19, only one partner, and on the pill for 2 years, really didn't like the idea of hormones anymore and the coil seemed the only option. I got the copper coil fitted in January and it's been really good for me! Your doctor seems quite biased or perhaps uninformed.. Lots of young women get the coil. They do say that it's easier for women who have given birth before though, which does make sense, and also that there's a slightly higher risk of a pelvic inflammatory infection, but I can't see why she'd tell you you'd become infertile for not having a smear test before an insertion?

Maybe try seeing a different doctor or find a family planning clinic to get another opinion. It really doesn't seem right that your doctor would say that, and it is a really good option. The only downside for me has been the pain of the insertion, but personally it was worth it for not having to take a pill everyday and to have periods again and feel more natural.

I hope this was helpful and you can get some more help somewhere!

• Posted

Hey thank you so much for replying! Sorry I was unclear about the smear test thing, she said the fact my cervix has never been touched/opened,not even a smear, means it would be more painful. 

I was really adement on getting the coil until she scared me with the infection causing infertility stuff! Surely if you are in a mannogamous r/s the risk for such thing is very low? or can it be caused by any type of bacteria getting through?

Glad to hear its been working well for you, how did you find the transition between pill to coil? did you get a period straight away? And how long did your cramps/discomfort last after insertion? So sorry for all the questions!

Im going to go to my clinic tomorrow to see what they say smile x

• Posted

Hi daisy, I'm alot older than you my only option was the mirena coil that's not why I'm replying, I have had a baby but c section, I have no tolerance for pain,any way I wanted coil put in while asleep (general anisetic) as I am really a whimp. You would need referal to gynaecology from your doctor, or with a local anisetic this just numbs, I had the local in the end.

It was a bit of a surprise when I had it done , as I was put on the spot at the hospital to have a biopsy. The first needle made me jump but I didn't feel any pain on either procedure.

Your gp probably try to talk you out of it as it is time and money. Its your body u have to put your foot down.

Take painkillers b4 you go as the cramps are quite bad afterwards.

Oh and I read somewhere new partner new coil, so bear that in mind if true.

Good luck x

• Posted

Just thought I'd chip in smile my gyno said the coil is fine for 10 years, for as many or a little change in sexual partners as we women want smile
    • Posted

When I was talking things over at the family planning clinc the nurse said,"even young girls tolerate having it done" so I presume yes. And if I could have had a copper one I would. I can also remember the infections that can make you infertile comes from changing partners. I'm not a professional though, this may be why young people are being put off.

Women usually are the faithfull and would stay with their first partner,here's the but, men usually to do with their hormons don't. This is only my experience and that of people I know. Doesn't mean this applies to you.

The copper coil I. Was told make periods heavier and up and down

For a while. As for not having a period shouldn't worry u, if u feel like that just test yourself periodically I used to on the pill. Hope I helped x

• Posted

Ohh sorry, that makes sense!

My doctor only mentioned the pelvic inflammation issue, and from looking online before getting the coil I've not seen anything about getting infections other than if the insertion went wrong, and not heard about changing partners being an issue before. Don't see what the issue with that would be, but if it's a concern then double check with someone else at a clinic

Well a big issue for me was lack of sex drive and being very uncomfortable generally in that area, and coming off the pill and having my hormones being natural, has fixed all of that. My doctor said it will be up to a year until everything settles back to normal. The cramps latest for two days for me, but when my sister had one she was off to work later that day, so I think it can vary. I think I got my first period in the same week, and since then they've been heavy but quite regular.

Good luck at the clinic! Really hope they have a better attitude towards it than your doctor, it can be a confusing thing so they should give you all the help you need! x

• Posted

Sorry Loopy, going to have to disagree with you there. I wouldn't normally publicly disagree with people, but I don't want someone to read this and get the wrong message, so I hope you understand smile, as I know you're under these impressions though other word of people! Please please don't be offended haha.

You could sleep with a different partner every day for 10 years, the fact you have a coil, will in no way increase your risk of contracting an infection. It will only protect you against pregnancy. Your risk will be purely down to having sex with someone that is potentially already infected (condoms?).

You are however, prone to infection in the cervix/uterous immediately after insertion for about 20 days (source, NHS), but risk is very low! This may be what your doctor meant smile

I think it's a strange thing to think, that the coil is only suggested to women because monogamy is assumed... I haven't stayed with the person I lost my virginity to.

• Posted

No worries! I heard that becase your cervix has been disturbed/opened, infections can get in easier and the strings can help aid it to be carried up or something. 

I hope PID/infections, especially infertility are infact RARE and not as common a risk as she made out.  

Yes I cannot wait to come off hormones and be myself again! by the way , did you use condoms for a bit after you got the IUD inserted to protect against infection whilst its getting used to it?  

• Posted

I've tried to copy a link in a comment for you to look at, but it needs to be moderated that I'm not spamming you haha! Put in 'IUDs Don't Cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease in Women UCSF' into google, it's the first link smile

I haven't used a condom once since getting it fitted smile I haven't had a need to with my boyfriend. I did however wait about 5 days until having sex again, but only because I felt quite 'heavy' there, alike being on, just without bleeding! And I was a bit nervous and didn't want to tempt my luck haha.

• Posted

Hi I'm sure I saw it in a magazine and it jogged my memory about infections and partners, I'm new to them and I don't take offence. May be you could answer my querry can a tampon be used while the coils in place. 😊
    • Posted

I did and it said that the website is having technical difficulties! Ill try later on though! Yeah i think Id wait abit too probably to achey to have it quite so soon anyway!
    • Posted

Yes! They can smile I didn't use them for my first period to be on the safe side (tampons keep bacteria inside you, it's completely safe for a short amount of time, but again, didn't want to tempt fate!). But I've been using tampons ever since smile I've had my coil for 6 months now.
    • Posted

After doing a bit of research, im thinking about maybe giving the Mini pill a go before I start the coil. It only contains 1 hormone instead of 2 which iv been taking so far and apparently there are less side effects than the combined pill. Just dont like the idea of no periods sad the doctor has really left a lasting effect on my anxiety bout the coil! 
  • Posted

I'm really upset she said that to you, and scared you about having it! Not at all encouraging! I know you've read my review already smile but do remember that you can always have a local anesthetic!
    • Posted

Hey thanks! Im not too worried about the pain as much as I am about the potential infertility/infection that she scared me about! hopefully someone att he clinic will be more encouraging about it smile
    • Posted

Sorrry if I misguided u, may be I was misguided to on 1st attempt. Please do not worry about the pain. Like I said in a responce I am a real whimp, I would do it again with a local anesetic. I don't know about these options as I couldn't have them norvo ring and patches. You seem very sensible do what feels right. It just shows sometimes its easy to be be mislead.

Why I said I had a c section its because my cervix hadn't done anything. I know after I had my baby there was several things to choose from at your age. But don't, don't ,don't worry about pain but incase u are like me and you have it done just take some ibrufen b 4 appointment,

My doctor said if u feel the procedure is to much she would stop. Relax. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.