Candesartan causing High blood pressure?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mum, 85 with Alzheimers etc, has had rising BP... recently they stopped the Valsartan and since then the BP has seemed to rise... the Candesartan which they substituted is being raised but so far has not had the desired effect...

although the BP is still within what the Doctors call tolerable limits I am worried as she was shakey almost all day today and the BP didnt subside until mid afternoon and she has slept most this evening which is unusual...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Underseadog...I understand your concern. When a medication is stopped, but no substitute, it's quite common for the bp to spike...because there isn't anything in the body to stop the spike, however you say Candesartan has been substituted. If my memory serves me correctly, Candesartan & Valsartan are in the same class of medicines, namely ARB's. If your Mom's bp is within what the doctors call "tolerable limits"...I wouldn't worry about the bp. You didn't say now long your Mother has been on the Candesartan. Sometimes it can take as long as a month to see any improvement. 

The shakiness may be caused by something entirely different, especially since you mention she has slept a lot one evening, which is unusual. Keep an eye on things, & if you see she's still shaking/sleeping...get back to your doctor.

• Posted

ty mike for your supportive comments which are much appreciated.. 

HNY to you smile

to fill in some of the blanks... 

* The candesartan was started about six months ago I think..

* 'tolerable limits' can be as high as 150+/ 85-95+ but I suppose currently average 185/85 ish... they started to rise during september (we do BP twice daily at home) when it was only occasional to pretty much everyday now..

at the beginning September her Bumetinide (water tablet) was reduced and she started the generic version of Movicol (lax.)

The sleeping is becoming noticable during the day but was more yesterday than I have seen and she also is sleeping about as normal at night

I will do as you suggest and see what happens over the next few weeks as the Candesartan was only increased a second time more recently..

Obviously the Dementia and the darker days may be contributing to her tireness but I read somewhere, and in this Forum, that Candesarten,  may not be effective on all people

I dont know if you have heard if the Valsarten, or generic, is now available again

Again ty for your time

• Posted

sorry but I just reread the post and the BP is average 140/85..

redface

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.