Candesarten - a drug that makes healthy people ill?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed with bp 30 years ago. Am healthy, but side effects are so severe I cannot understand why they are being prescribed. I have neck pain, back pain, leg pain, cramp, weight gain, dry mouth, watery eyes and reflux. You name it I seem to suffer and have a number of drugs prescribed to counteract side effects. I know it is better to avoid dying of a stroke/heart attack but after 30 years have had enough. In my case Candesarten does not control my bp very well anyway. Surely there must be a viable alternative. I am not overweight, am active, do not drink or smoke. Over the years these drugs have affected me so badly I am now beginning to feel it might be better not to bother.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also take this drug along with others. I am now reading a book called Food is better medicine than drugs that has a number of very good methods to come off the medication. Life style, excersise, eat healthy, drink moderately and stop smoking. This book gives a number of methods to reduce conditions such as high blood pressure and cholesterol.

Try it. smile

• Posted

I'm coming off Candesarten at the moment... 18 months of Vertigo and dizziness, nausea, back pain, muscle weakness and sinusitus will hopefully come to an end.

I've been disabled since taking first BP meds 2 years ago - experienced crippling back spasms which have left me housebound.

I'm going to try Far Infra-red sauna therapy, will hopefully also lose some of the weight I've put on since taking these horrible drugs!

[quote:28a39f577c=\"Supergen \"]Diagnosed with bp 30 years ago. Am healthy, but side effects are so severe I cannot understand why they are being prescribed. I have neck pain, back pain, leg pain, cramp, weight gain, dry mouth, watery eyes and reflux. You name it I seem to suffer and have a number of drugs prescribed to counteract side effects. I know it is better to avoid dying of a stroke/heart attack but after 30 years have had enough. In my case Candesarten does not control my bp very well anyway. Surely there must be a viable alternative. I am not overweight, am active, do not drink or smoke. Over the years these drugs have affected me so badly I am now beginning to feel it might be better not to bother.[/quote:28a39f577c]

• Posted

I was prescribed Candesartan (low dose) last July for high BP along with Amlodipine and Atenolol. (Previously on Bendroflumethiazide but my GP felt I needed a change.) Over the next 6 months I developed backache (this was almost immediate), muscle and joint pain, muscle cramps, extreme tiredness and then all over itching. Hives, allergic skin reactions to plants, skin creams and finally a severe allergic food reaction which put me in hospital. I also gained over 30 pounds in weight over the six months. I was feeling so ill there were times I felt I had nothing left to live for. Eventually I made the connection and asked my GP if I could stop taking the Candesartan, he reluctantly agreed for a perios of 2 weeks. Relief from itching was almost immediate. Within 2 weeks I felt much better and told my GP I would not be taking C again. He did not agree about the C being the cause of my woes but did agree to put me back on my previous medication. This was 2 months ago. All of the symptoms have subsided and I feel human again. I have lost weight without trying and quality of life has improved immensely. Now that I feel better. I have realised how ill I was feeling on this drug.
  • Posted

I have been taking it for a few years now and these are all the problems it has given me.

weight gain

dry mouth

watery eyes

reflux

Sinusitis

Itchy skin face eye brows and scalp

Im glad im coming off it soon.

• Posted

Hi I gave been unwell fir a few years and it has increased in recent months do I am researching things.

I have been on candasartan for about 10 yrs and have all of the things described on here and to top it off it doesn't control my bp very well. Doc has introduced felodipine and I gave been really unwell in the last month.aafter being hospitalised for high bp.

Are these symptoms really seriously being attributed to candasartan? No one has ever mentioned this to me!!!

• Posted

I am in my early fifties and have been taking the candesartam for 2 months and I am experiencing terrible lower back pains constantly. At first I thought it was the way I slept but after reading these commemts now realise it is the medication.
  • Posted

After weaning myself off all my anti-hypertensives, I found my BP drop!

Turns out I have 'white coat' syndrome, it's terrible when I'm getting it read in hospital/ GP's etc, but much more reasonable when I'm at home.

I think the anti-hypertensives kept the spikes in check, but the side effects caused so much stress that my day to day BP went up, lol !

I'm on Bisoprolol for a couple of months, to get my through some surgery.

My last surgery got cancelled because my BP went up to 213/111, causing some concern... by the time I got home, it was back to 130/82.

Also (privately) I'm trying anti-hypertensive hypnotherapy (called 'Hypnotension' in UK); resperRate machine; homeopathy... anything that may help lower the spikes so I'm ok for surgery and anything to get me off the Bisoprolol (headaches, dizziness, back pain, sinusitis, dry eyes) asap!

One thing I have noticed, and this may well be the 'root 'of the side effects, Bisoprolol seems to negate the effects of my HRT estrogen supplements. So, could many of the side effects actually be 'low' estrogen symptoms (for me, low estrogen definitely causes dry eyes, back ache, and sinusitis)?

• Posted

I noticed that you wrote this over a year ago , im interested to know if you now ae taking something else as i too have the side effects you mention ! I get lots from all BP tablets but really need something to help my bp !
  • Posted

I had such bad side effects from Amlodopine I told the doctor that  would no longer take it and she put me on Candesarten. I am now worried about what side effects I might get from these. I have only been on them for 2 months but already have irritable bowel and diarrhoea and have heard it can cause kidney failure. Have yu had any side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.