Candestarten side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had the side effect of a dry tickle cough when taking Candestarten. It is not recorded as a side effect but several people I know say this about it. Views appreciated please?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes i did it caused by Candestarten that makes excessive mucus and that mucus goes into your throat and gives you a cough.

These are all my side affects while using this drug

weight gain

dry mouth

watery eyes

reflux

Sinusitis

Itchy skin on my face

Leg pains

I have been to the doctors today and i will be coming off this drug very soon and it will be the best thing i have ever done.

• Posted

Hello, Candestarten is the 3rd blood pressure tablet that i have tried and it has given me the most horrendous cough that persists nearly all day with hardly any respite aslo a lot of mucus as a previous member said. I am seriously thinking of just coming off and trying some natural remedy's. I know that even after coming off of medication it can take 6 to 8 weeks for the cough to subside.
  • Posted

Yes, I too have a dry tickly cough and lately have been having pins and needles in my fingers. Also so tired, having black/ worry dreams and feeling very anxious. Are these effects of this drug?

• Posted

Jenny its best to return to see your Gp and ask them to change the tablet to a different one as thats what i did and my cough disappered eventually.

On a side note i dont know if you take statins like i do but they also caused me severe muscle ache in my legs and arms.

I could never keep my legs still in bed as they ache all night and day.

Hope you get sorted.

• Posted

i don't take statins having refused to for over 8 years now and candesartan is the 6th BP medication I have had, all with rotten side effects. Have reduced kidney function and was taken off diuretics initialy, but recently put on Bendroflumeiside(?spelling) again, which took me into a deep depression and anxiety state. Am off that now, but BP rising again, I look after my 93 year old husband who has Alzheimer's so feel justified in insisting that I will not take anything which makes it impossible for me to care for him. So many caused such swelling of feet and ankles and I couldn't walk and have no transport  so candesartan is the best of a bad lot thus far!

• Posted

Jenny, I also have reduced kidney function (CKD3, eGFR 47) and am taking Losartan Potassium for high BP.  This is also the 6th medication for me, being unable to tolerate the side effects of the others.  I was also taking Diltiazem alongside the Losartan but stopped the former due to ankle swelling and bowel problems.  However, the Losartan on its own isn't lowering my BP at all so have now been prescribed a diuretic (Indapamide).  Am a little concerned as to whetherdiuretics can worsen kidney function so have been holding off taking it!  Did Bendroflumethiazide worsen your kidney function?
    • Posted

No it improved it for a bit as I was more hydrated then it sent me into a state of depression, could not see a future etc .Mine is 49 at the moment, but have no feeling in arms, hands or fingers.

It lowered my bp to less than 100/60 and that is when I started to feel dreadful. I wonder if it has occured to the powers that be that some people function better with a higher BP?

Now am on 12mgs daily candesartan only, plus 15 mgs lansoprasole and have not taken my BP for four months, it is probably sky high now

I wish I had never heard of Bp at least I would not have had nearly ten years of horrible side effects with very little benefit as far as I can see!

• Posted

Jenny, many thanks for your reply which has gone a little way to reassure me about starting the Indapamide diuretic.

Have you tried Losartan Potassium for your blood pressure?  My pharmacist tells me it is the drug he hears the least complaints about from his customers.  However, on it's own, it isn't controlling my BP at the moment, hence the prescribed Indapamide.

Have you been taking Lansoprazole for long? I ask because I know it can cause problems for some people and I'm wondering whether the problems in your arms/hands/fingers may be related to that drug.  I was once prescribed it to supposedly protect my stomach from the long-term steroids I was taking at the time.  However, it caused terrible bowel problems and stomach pain and was stopped within a few days.  A daily 'live' yoghurt, plus a few squeezes of lemon juice in warm water and a teaspoonful of Manuka honey protected both my stomach and esophagus throughout my years on steroids.  If only I could find a natural alternative for high BP!

It sounds as though you are in denial like me - I haven't taken my BP for a few months either!

• Posted

I am back again, visited doc on we'd last, said having bad time on candesartan, he said ball is in your court as I am over sensitive. Said I would try 12 to 16 mgs for six weeks,But during lunch that day started getting stabbing pains in lower back and could not put my heels to the ground, it's just like the statin effect, when muscles give up supporting you. Thats it I decided no more, 3 days without bp tablets?I knew muscle breakdown was called something like rhabdomylosis so I googled ' does candesartan cause rhabdomylosis?I am still getting over the shock of all I have read
    • Posted

Carola, if it was me I would go back to the GP and ask to be tried on a different drug - there are many and there must be one that will suit each one of us......or that's what I keep hoping with each one I try!  Do be careful what you Google as some sights are very unreliable - the Mayo Clinic is among the best ones if you are doing some research.
    • Posted

hello,

I haven't tried losartanpotassium yet and hope I shan't have to. The less the better in my book.  I did hear that continued use of lansaprasole can cause high BP and asked the doctor to reduce it from 30 mgs to 15 per day. My problems with hands and fingers are probably related to my neck and an old injury sustained in a road accident years ago, the cranial osteopath is working on that, but it is a great nuisance and is now affecting my back. Altogether the only thing keeping me going at the moment is the sunshineas for the first uime in years I am feeling hot!!

• Posted

Yes, I suffer the same particularly at night

• Posted

Two months into candesartan, 0n 12 mg now. Have cough, and dry tight throat,muscles have nearly vanished,my osteo and gout have been aggravated,toes suddenly go purple, and right foot swelling, now my heels are playing up,reflux worse, gritty discharge from eyes, and my bp still way over the top.I have to take a painkiller after taking this miserable drug. I don't think there is anything left for me after taking bp tablets for 37 years.my body is telling me this is nt good for me.
    • Posted

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, but go back to the doctor and make a fuss. You have to in order to get them to take notice and it is not them suffering the ill effects.

I am on 12mgs too and have put on over a stone in weight, my knees are aching and have pins and needles all over me, plus dry cough and sore eyes.

Nevertheless it is the drug with the least side effects for me!All the others made my life unbearable and the doctors give you the new drugs for a months trial so one goes from one ghastly experience to another unless they hit on the right combination for you.

Good luck and keep trying

Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.