Cannot get severe itching under control

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 80 years old and was diagnosed with polycythaemia vera at the beginning of this year and have had several venesections to keep everything under control.  I have had itching for a number of years and it is now getting to a stage where it is unbearable.  I am on antihystamine tablets and my consultant has recommended Doxepin capsules at night time, which make you very drousy.  They have helped a bit but the itching is really bad after a shower (barely warm) and at night time.

Various people have mentioned multivitamins with iron but I was told to avoid iron in my diet, ie. red meat, spinach etc.  Were those people put onto these vitamins by their consultants?

Any help would be appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bernardi have pv also and the itching is always worse after a hot shower before   bed. I  am  usually a little low on iron, I looked it up online.I read  that we shd not replace it with vitamins. We are trying to lower  red  blood  count . Once you have

been treated  for a while hopefully the itching  will lessen. Mine did. I take Hydroxyurea. hope you find a good anti-itch lotion.

harrishill

• Posted

Hi, Bernard. I shd have mentioned that Hydroxyurea was prescribed by my hematologist to control my high red count. Your doctor may not want to use it, cause some people have moreside effects . I seem to handle it very well. I just think as mmy bloodg ot lowered enough, I wasn't as itchy as before. However, is till get itchy after my evening shower. since it;s so hot here  in southern California,

I take cool showers. Lots of  luck,

harrishill 

• Posted

I like you suffered with itching. I lost nights upon nights of sleep but the last sleeping tablets I got are terrific the name is Dalmane you would need to consult your md I hope this helps 
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with PVR over 12 years ago thankfully it seems to be under control although it took a few years to sort out medication 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.