Cannot have a bowel movement

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have being constipated all my life and taken laxactives now it has 

got to the point I cant go at all

the DR. are not much help they said a hysterectomy might help but it didn't

the only way I can go is to take the colonoscopy prep laxactives

I take those every 4 or 5 week and it comes out as liquid

Any suggestions what do next or ask my DR. I will be seeing him soon as I recently had hysterectomy 

I am 80 years old 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Why would you need a hysterectomy for constipation? I would have thought you would need a colonoscopy instead to check your bowel if you can't go to the loo. Has this not been done?  If not ask your doctor to refer you for one.  You should also get a stool sample tested and get your thyroid checked in case it is underactive.  If it is, it can cause constipation.

• Posted

That's the problem with laxatives: the guts get used to it and won't work anymore on their own, muscle tone gone, sluggish.

It depends how long you depended on it. It is said, if for a long time, years, the damage (colon, rectum, anus) is often irreversible.

There are young teenagers hooked onto laxatives and really struggle to get their bowels to move again naturally, but due to most likely less irreversible damage, can get there again if caught in time.

I guess you have tried all common anti-constipation recommondations to extend.

Maybe you like to search the internet for colorectal recovery program since the 'normal' advice did not work. What's to loose?

I can try to add a link, but guess it will be deleted.

You can actually try to go fiber low; the ascending colon is really hard to get 'up' and over. If you have a sluggish colon, this is really tricky if the stool is much and heavy.

A small stool is as good as a big stool amount. As long as any stool comes out.

You need your thyroid checked, an under functioning (hypothyroidism) is often cause for chronic constipation.

Of course any more severe partial obstructing reason should be ruled out too.

Drink well, but don't overdo it. No one needs to drink more than 2L.

Some drink too much.

I love to take a spoon of linseed oil, fat is quite important actually.

Probiotics for months or always are a good thing too.

All the best!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi john5047

I am puzzled you sign as john are you a male, if so how could you have a hysterectomy???

• Posted

Yes I am doing this for my sister she does not know what to do

• Posted

Hi john

If your sister has taken laxatives all her life then this is her problem.....her bowel cannot work on its own without help of laxatives......try and have a change of diet plenty of fruit and veg and gluten free bread etc., and plenty of water.....see if a diet change helps......best wishes....

• Posted

Stenosis can be in small bowel too, invisible to colonoscopy.

But having said so, if laxatives were used for decades, it seems really hard to get bowel movements without.

One harsh thing you might want to trial....1 or 2 fork full of sauerkraut. It really gave something of explosive for my constantly constipatied child (we won't repeat, too harsh = pain)

Best of luck!

• Posted

This is the brother here I think constipation runs in our family

I had GERDS and an ultra sound was done on my gall bladder my bile ducts were blocked

So I had my gall bladder out since then no constipation and as regular as clockwork

It did not help the GERDS but solved my constipation

Do you think this would help my sister?

I read that in some cases gall bladder removal can make some people more constipated

Depends how much bile liver produces

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies

She had to go to emergency last weekend they kept her in for 4 days and found a gastric ulcer

so she's on antibiotics hope this helps

• Posted

Not good, but good she is under care now.

If the gastric ulcer is the reason for constipation, I can't really imagine, but antibiotics might cause diarrhea, hence actually a welcomed side effect?

All the best!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.