Cannot sleep..,help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 5 wks in from my tohr. I am getting better my scar is healing beautiful! I am not having pain only after therapy.. I those and turn all night can't sleep...I stay up all day and night. I just can't comfortable anywhere... If I do sleep it's for like a hour....

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Tell your therapist this. Start out slow and stop when it hurts.

In time you will gain strength.  Getting comfortable is really difficult after THR . Do you have a script for pain meds so you can sleep better.

• Posted

This seems to be a common problem amongst hippies.I had my first full night's sleep after being prescribed Amytiptyline low dose 10mg.It is for nerve pain and sleeping.This was not until 10werks in.I was told I could take it with cocodamol. Before that I was snatching 2 to 4 hour bouts of sleep

Janet

• Posted

Hi Toy, 

so sorry about the not being able to sleep situation you are in right now --

there are many discussions held about this topic on this forum, darling - 

Has it been like this for the whole 5 weeks?   did you call your doctor about this and maybe got some sleep med 

that sounds miserable though - 

when is your follow up appointment ?

there is a lot of information on a web site created by one of our Forum members, Graham, aka  Rocketman -

please go to:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147 , scroll down and you'll find a Laymans Guide to THR 

and of course, come back here anytime okay?

big warm hug

renee

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

• Posted

Renee.

Thank you very much for your answer and I will look into this. I am wiling to try anything

Thank youk

• Posted

As Renee says, go look at my website - compiled from other THR patients on this forum.  

Sleep can be extremely difficult during the early days and weeks of this recovery.  I was up every hour to go pee in the early days - and it took me most of the following hour to get back to sleep cry so I didn't get much rest at night.  During the day I took many cat naps.

What I did find helpful was - going into the spare room to avoid disturbing my wife, cushions in various configurations, my iPod with soothing classical music, and flexing my legs - both legs up and down together, and moving the 'good leg' as far as I could in ways not allowed with the operated leg.

Alsi I had painful toes due to duvet weight - cushions on either side of the foot helped support it.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

I bought myself a body pillow, a bit like the ones for pregnant women...I have it going behind my back then through between my knees......it's bliss, like being in  cocoon.....

• Posted

I forgot to mention. I am 4 weeks 3 days PO.....good luck xx
  • Posted

I've managed to find a comfortable position by putting two pillows between my legs and then do a half turn to my non operated side and put a pillow under my right buttock. I nod off and never move for at least 4 hours at a time. I'm sleeping better than I ever did. Hopefully you'll find a comfy position soon x

• Posted

Sometimes the deeper aching doesn't happen right after exercise but gets you later at night.  Either cut down on the PT or take some great pain med like Dilaudid  (as little as possible to get through the night)-  I think that sometimes doing less exercises allows for faster healing anyway and so you may progress just as fast-long as you have some moderate activity

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.