Carafate/sucralfate

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anybody taking this? Been on omeprozole, esomaprozal, all other PPIs that you can think of. Had endoscapy, diagnosed with inflamed stomach lining after HP. Had biopsy no cancer or tumour. Consultant told me it will go in time with PPIs. But not going he said he will write to my doctor to try other things? Looked online about carafate sounds like a miracle drug? Is this only for people with ulcers? But inflamed stomach like mine is more or less the same thing. Do doctors give this out easily? Appreciate any advice thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My primary doctor prescribed sucralfate and omeprazole for me after weeks of stomach pain and nasuea. Almost immediately I felt a difference. I had lost 25 lbs but after the sucralfate my appetite came back and I was able to eat again. From what I understand carafate is prescribed for gastritis and ulcers also other things. It coats the lining of your throat stomach and intestines so it is prescribed for many conditions. It can cause a little constipation so make sure you eat some veggies =)
    • Posted

Thank you chrisgee for your reply. How come this carafate had not been mentioned before to me? Is it an expensive drug on the NHS. I have an appointment next week with my GP not going to leave until I get this. It is my last option really tried everything else. Been on PPIs for years. Any advice what to say to my GP thanks
  • Posted

You guys have got to not depend on PPI's or H2 blockers they are and wer for many years only supposed to be used for two weeks max, long term can cause many problems, some irriversable. B-12 difficency, iron, folate and then you have to research what those defichiencys can cause, nobody reads, everybody trust your doc because they know all. Its a bandaid, it does not fix the underlying problems, do some research.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.