Carbimazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have just started carbimazole and to be honest I feel worse. I have aches and pains everywhere. This has come as a bit of a shock. Within two

Years I have been diagnosed with PA and coeliacs and now this.

Can anyone tell me how long it will take for shakes to go and the general

of being unwell. I am now on 5mg twice a day, I was on 20mg, but my body shakes and tremors got lot worse. I am also on 10mg of Propanolol.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Xxxx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane, I was initially on 80mg propananol increased to 160 and 40 mg Carbimazole - had 6 weeks of the worst side effects and then felt slightly better until I went hypo thyroid and started block and replace therapy.  I have had 18 months of this treatment.  It has been a  struggle but I am so much better and feeling back to my old self, well almost!  It is horrible, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. X
    • Posted

Hi Emma, I have become quite intolerate to lots of medications, since being diagnosed with PA, so I always have to start on

low doses. I just want the shakes to go. Also I have really bad pains in my stomach. I feel quite unwell today and my Dr

signed me off for next week, so I can concentrate on taking the meds.

Thank you for your reply, I look foward to the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again x

• Posted

Do you have Graves disease, Hashimoto's or both?  What are your lab values?  It is not unusual if you have one autoimmune disease to get another.  Do you know what your antibodies are?  I have found that hyperthyroid patients lose vitamins and minerals from their bodies and needs to be replaced.  I take vitamin D, as well as L-carnitine which helps with the muscle aches.  In addition, I have seen some patients take Bugleweed, Melissa and Motherwort.  The last two are very calming herbs.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

I will requesf copies of my bloods on Monday. I've been told

Hyperthyroidism, not sure if it is Grave's. I have been referred

to an Encriologist, but the app isn't until July. How would they know if it is Grave's?

I have b12 every 6 weeks now, which has stopped me being

lethargic. I did wonder if because I have one disease I'd be

prone to more.

I'll look into the above and maybe give them a try. I'll post my bloods when I get them on Monday.

thank you for your advice x

I

• Posted

In Canada, they diagnose Graves by performing a radioiodine uptake test and checking for antibodies in the blood.  Graves antibodies are TSI and TRab antibodies and Hashimoto's TPO antibodies.  I think if they want to do the uptake scan that I would  refuse because I think even though it is a very low dose of radioactive iodine, it sounds like your body is extremely sensitive.  I refused the second one that the second Endo I saw wanted me to do.  Learn all you can about the disease and check out other patient boards, do your research.  Then you can be more confident when discussing options with your docs and asking for your needs to be met.  By the way, the docs will not know anything about supplements or endorse you using them.  A Naturopath would know more about them.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda. I will read and look at the other Forums. I'd go

natural as much as I can to aid my body to heal.

Thank you both for the advice.

• Posted

HI Diane,

I am diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Started with 30mg Carbimazole (T4was  at 45) and 60mg propanolol. I have severe tremor before medication started. It took me roughly 2 weeks to get away from tremor and joint pain and other symptoms. 

On second week, I have very bad itchyness , rashes and skin was hyper sensitive. I took clariyne to stop that. Wasnt sure which medicine cause that.

after 2 weeks, gained 3kgs, did a search a realized both medicine cause weight gain. As Propanolol is to control heart beat ( this is the same med subscribed for high blood pressure patient). I stopped that gradually, took one before. I have been off from propanolol completely for 2weeksnow, even when need to exercise. Carbimazole cut to 15mg. reduced myself as appointment with doctor still weeks away.

I was on 80% vegetarian ever since I know I have hyperthroid. I am planning to go  TCM to seek for advice to see how I can improve my overall body system back to balance. Dont want to rely on medicine forever.

If the pain is bearable, you might want to only reduce carbimazole once tremor goes away.

all the best to you.

• Posted

Hi Cheowei,

Ì've just been taken off of Carbimazole, as the rash got so bad yesterday. I have big lumps on my head, neck, arms, hands and feet. My ears have both swollen too.

I am on an antihistamine to calm everything down and can't take any other meds until this is out of my system. Today I'm still covered and my head and legs are really itchy.

I couldn't stop crying yesterday, but today I haven't been that bad. Just fed up.......I still have shaky hands and my body is still tremoring, I just hope the next lot of medication isn't as bad as this one was...

I hops you feel better soon too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.