Carbimazole - how long did it take to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I have been diagnosed with over active thyroid - been given 5 mg of carb to take three times a day.

How long did those who took it notice a difference of it worked for them? Also did it help calm the emotional side such as anxiety etc.

I've only taken it for three days but I am notice and tenderness around my neck

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well Rosie ...

It's works okay ... For how long is anybody's guess

I started on 20 mg per day for a few months then down to 10 mg then 5ng per day ..

So I started with a high dose .. And I'm

Now Euthroid ... And you will be too

I was delighted I started on a high dose as I could control it better I thought

You'll do it !!!

And all your symptoms will start to go away

... Avoid all stressful situations and lie down to rest when you feel wrecked

Take control of your immune system if it's Graves' disease ...

The very best of luck to you 🌹

Mx🌹

• Posted

Carbimazole works by reducing the output of thyroid hormones. It does not affect the thyroid hormones already produced and stored. Those are gradually processed by your body and depending on your initial levels that my take some time (several weeks). More information on Carbimazole is posted under: 

https://patient.info/health/overactive-thyroid-gland-hyperthyroidism

To give you a rough idea my initial T4 was 61pmol/L [10-20] and it took at least 4 weeks until I felt a difference (my dose of Carbimazole was 30mg/day). And yes it did help to reduce the nervousness, agitation, and hand tremor.

It you have thyroiditis your thyroid may be slightly swollen which can cause pain around the neck. You can find more information on the nhs site, for example under 'subacute thyroiditis'. 

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear your feeling abit tender at the moment. Hopefully things will improve soon. I started on 10mg Carbimazole 6 weeks ago, my TSH at that time was 0.03. After about 4 weeks I saw a huge improvement. Less anxiety, heart rate down, heat intolerance improved, tremors became hardly noticeable & my overall outlook on life has done a 360°. Im due a blood test next week - so we'll see what the results say, but overall I feel much better & experienced no side effects from the Carb. Good luck & hope you feel better soon 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.