Carbocisteine (Mucodyne)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone you takes the above answer a couple of questions if possible.

My husband was recently diagnosed with Asthma/fixed airway obstruction

(which we assume means COPD).  He has been suffering from SOB and cough foir a few months and was admitted to A and E twice with suspected COPD after a lifetime smoking (he gave up 8 years ago).  He is on Symbicort,salbutamol and Spiriva.

The hospital clinic doctor prescribed Carbocisteine to help bring up the mucus which he was finding hard to do.  After a couple of days he found that he was blowing his nose a lot ang getting rid of a lot of mucus.  He has since caught a cold from me so maybe that was the start of it.  He now is hardly coughing and breathing is much better.  My questions are does mucodyne work just on bringing up mucus when you cough or also the nose.  I would have expected his symptoms to get worse if he has a cold.  Any experiences most welcome.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,I to have asthma / bronchietis and along with my inhalers I also take Mucodyne ,it helps thin the mucus making it easier to bring up and out ,
  • Posted

I too take carbocisteine, following an hospital admission, nanny1086 is correct in saying it thins the mucus to make it easier to bring it up.  Any mucus from the nose will go down the throat onto the chest whilst sleeping, I get a runny nose when using my nebs so any way of clearing is benificial. I was also told by physio's that breathing in for 2 and out for 4 (as if you wanted to cough) has helped me. I don't know if anyone else does this. But anything is worth trying.
    • Posted

Breathing as you say is a big help ,,,,,but I also use a flutter devise,it was prescribed by my GP ,I found it to be brilliant help in chest clearance,if your GP won't prescribe it you can get them on Amazon for around £45 ,I wouldn't be without mine. I use it morning and night ,and when needed throughout the day when nessasary ,
    • Posted

Can   i ask about the  flutter device  ... i  have one  but was told not to use it in case  the membrane  at the base of the lung is  thin   because  it  can blow the lung  ... was  gutted    would be  gratful  for  any   advise  you can  give  ..
    • Posted

Hi ,,I was using carbosistine etc and really didn't notice too much difference ,,it was the COPD nurse who told me to ask GP about prescribing me a flutter devise ,,,that was no problem ,,,,I used when I had a chest infection ( at the time ) and it was a great help ,,,,however I think I'm like lots of patients ,,,and when ferling good forget to use /take the the things that got me well ,..so after a reacurance of infection nurse asked if I used my flutter regularly,,,,I glad to say no ,,,,,not really used it since I got better ,,,then she told me to use it 2/3 times a day even when I have no infection ,,,as we all make mucus even healthy people ,,,,but for us it remains in our lungs and that's where the germs grow ,,,,so now I use it Morning and night ,,,,,,then if I do get poorly I will step it up ,hope this helps ,
  • Posted

Hi  Update on Mucodyne which my husband was prescribed by the hospital. to help bring up mucus.  He has stopped taking it as according to him it does not work. He found that when taking it he has a lot of nasal mucus and was blowing his nose a lot.

Although I know the mucodyne does not work for everyone, I feel he did not give it a fair chance.  I am trying to persuade him to take it again.  He coughs every day although breathing is not too bad.  He finds that sometimes the breathing exercises help shift the mucus and hot showers.  He gets very tired and I am sure the coughing has a lot to do with it.  He is now under the gp's care having been told by the hospital doctor that there was no need for him to be under there care at the moment.  I am a bit concerned because he may have to have some other tests for another problem and the procedures will need him to keep still.  I am not sure if he would be able to do this.  He does not seem to cough at night though.  

He also needs to lose weight and I have tried to encourage him without success.

Anything else he could do to help with the cough.  We do feel a little abandoned by the hospital.  He will be 70 next month and I hope that he can enjoy the family celebration planned.

• Posted

Hi ,I to am aged 70 ,I was diagnosed in 1992  and over the years I've tried many different medications ,,,,,I'm lucky I have a good consultant ,a good GP,And I'm well looked after you the brilliant COPD pulmary rehab team ,

i also tried mucadyne ,,,,,with not much benefit ,,,,however I've now been prescribed a flutter device to help with my chest clearance ,have a look on you tube or Amazon for reviews and how to use it ,it's really simple and no medication is required to use with it ,

i highly recommend you ask your GP for a referral to pulmary rehab ,it's a light exersise and education on COPD course,once he's done that ,,,he can be under their care as well as GP ,

best wishes,

• Posted

Thank you for your kind reply.  I am sending you a private message.
  • Posted

hi   i  take   Carbocisteine  i  dont move   any mucus  ...  i have  to take them all the  time  ?     though    sometimes    i  drop the amount   i take each day  ... Hope   that   helps   !!!
  • Posted

Hi.  Not answering to yur carbciseine but read your husband is on Symbicort and Spiriva.   Not 100% sure, but I think you should ask your GP, i was told you cannt take these two together.  Can't remember why, but i thinks it's something abut cancelleing each other out.    

Hope ive got it wrong, but worth asking.

Michelle x

• Posted

That's interesting.  Both were prescribed by the consultant at the hospital.  The gp has not said anything.  I hate to sound defeatist but I just know if we ask they will say it's fine to take both.  I have found over the years that they never think a particular drug can cause a particular side effect even if the patients thinks so.  I will try and do some reseach and am grateful for you taking the time to speak about this.  
    • Posted

You are more than welcome.  I have to swap my meds around each time they give me something different, nights to days, days to nights, remove, go back ! nightmare, but we do as we are told basically don't we. ! lol x 

Hope you get is sorted.

I also  take carbosisteine.  I take two morning, two evening.  I daily remove mucus at present.  If no infection present at all and feeling good, i go down to one morning and night, but up again if required.   Don't have any cold symptoms or anything like that it's just as I am.

Hope your husband gets sorted.  

Michelle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.