carers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am a carer. I hope that everyone who is a carer has been able to have a good Christmas. Its never easy.Would like to hear from other carers. Happy Boxing day regards Amanda

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I am a hippy carer, 11 weeks since my op, my husband got

bacterial pneumonia 10 days ago so we reversed roles pretty

quickly. I have coped better than I thought I would.. I hope things 

went smoothly for you. We ate surprisingly well, though we were

in bed by 7 pm.  

Love and best wishes Cathie

• Posted

Hello Cathie,Happy Boxing day! I have been a carer for my Hubby for many years! He's got osteoarthritis of the spine,hips &knees,is also severely signed & deaf.In march I had my right hip done,but I am still not good as I have aches & pains in both knees & other hip.I suffer badly with my nerves (Anxiety)so I am just putting up with it.I like to have Reflexology & Aromatherapy whenever I can.Also a jacuzzi when ever I can.I have to help my Hubby walk as his mobility isn't good.Sorry to rant.regards Amanda.
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,

Do you have any help? You do amazingly well to cope

with multi problems. My husband has anxiety problems and,

though his pneumonia should go, has become very scared of

being without me because he feels so weak.

life throws some things at us, none of us expect problems, they

just happen, which makes one feel helpless..

special thoughts Cathie

• Posted

HI Cathie, Thanks for your email. Yes its not easy at all. We have help 3 times a week with a communicater Guide, she comes to help with my Husband. But its only for the mornings . Then we have a cleaner for 2 hours once a week, although I am hoping she will step up & give me more hours. The rest is up to me. Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Get all the support you can. Post op we are very weak, 

we get big ups and downs all the time. When was your op?

Have you been a carer for a long time?

I am feeling the strain after a couple of weeks.

Cathie

• Posted

Hi Amanda I have been a full time carer for my hubby who suffered a major stroke just over 3 years ago. I therefore put off having a hip replacement until I couldn't stand it any longer and I feared I soon wouldn't be able to care for him. I am now 6 months post op and although it was difficult organising care for him and help for myself in the first few weeks I am so glad I eventually had it. Done. Sometimes as a carer you forget your own health needs and all other needs come to that, but if you are to continue to care you need to look after yourself too. I learned the hard way. Looking forward to the new year and hope you have a good one.
    • Posted

Hi Christine, Happy Boxing day! Poor you!I had my op in march,even now in many ways I still have twinges.As I have over done things. I have to help my Hubby with his mobility, as he has severe sight problems, is deaf & has osteo arthritis of the spine,hips & knees.!so when I went into hospital I had a care package for my Hubby but not for me.I had to do things alone.I had no help.The carer's were good & heated up our supper's! Sorry to rant! Regards Amanda.
  • Posted

I too am a carer for my husband of 43 years, I laughing say we are each others carer, what he can't do i do, and what I can't do he does, and I say we muddle through.

We have adapted and overcome. Example mowing the lawns, ride-on mower, rather than push mower. Automatic car rather than one with clutch, arthritis tools in the kitchen as I cannot use my hands as well as I should.

He has heart failure after an infection of some kind, they never exactly tracked down what caused his problem.

He has Dialated Cardiomyopathy, with a Left Branch Bundle Blockage.

As a result of cardiomyopathy his heart muscle is all stretched and nowhere as strong as it should be, one of the important reading is his ejection fraction, when he left hospital he was at 23%, he came back after a year to 43%, but is slowly failing, he is now down to 35%.

As a result of his years of working outdoors, and I personally think also his tablets are implicated, he has developed cataracts, blind in one eye, and has had a new lens put in.

Plenty of other heath problems as well.

He did amazing job for me twice over caring for me when I had my hips done, I prepared meals and put them in plastic boxes in meal size servings, so all he had to do was nuke them in the microwave.

He does suprisingly well for somebody who was sent home to die nearly five years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.