Caring for new type 2 diabetic

Posted , 7 users are following.

My husband has been told he is Type 2 diabetic and has been given a diet sheet.  He's one of those people who won't discuss their health and will never allow me to attend doctor's visits with him - even when he went into hospital for knee surgery he insisted I drop him at the door and he didn't want to see me until I collected him to take him home.

So I am ignorant about this new diet.  He will not hear of me contacting the clinic for advice, saying its all in the leaflet.  But it isn't!

On the one hand, I read about the 'healthy plate' consisting of half a plate of carbs and the rest made up from protein and green leafy vegetables.  On the other hand is the view that carbs are to be minimised and vegetables (except roots) protein and some fats should be maximised.

Which is correct?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! To be brutally honest, if you do the cooking for him, I'd put your foot down and tell him to stop acting like a big baby. You need to know what the nurses / dietician recommend as you are kinda in charge of his diet. Each person will have slightly different recommendations, just as an example mine is sticking to 65g of carbs per meal. I am type 2 insulin controlled.
  • Posted

Hi. I think you need to take matters into your own hands. Are you lucky enough to have a diabetes nurse at your surgery? If so I would reccomend you make an appointment to see her. They will be only to happy to help you as they are there for diabetics AND their families. I was diagnosed with type 2 last September and am trying to control it with diet. I have largely cut out bread from my diet as well as most processed food and sweets/cakes. I do treat myself about once a week though, otherwise it would be very depressing! I find if I stick to home cooked food and fruit/veg my blood sugar stays lower. The problem with carbs is that all carbs turn to sugar in the body. That's why it is wise to keep them in check. My surgery sent me on a short (two mornings) course called 'Living with type 2 Diabetes'. Again, this was for diabetics and/or partners. If you see the nurse, I would strongly reccomend it, as I found it very helpful. Not only for the practical advice but also you get to meet lots of people in your area who are coping with exactly the same thing as you. I would do things with or without support from hubby. He should be pleased that you care and are trying to help him! You may be surprised. I actually got my partner to come with me to the course and he is very similar in his attitude to your husband. I nearly fainted when he said he would come! Good luck and take care, Debbie
  • Posted

I would strongly agree with everything Debbie said. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and controlled my diabetes with diet until May last year when blood sugars went out of control so had to start meds. I still use "healthy living diet" to help keep lood glucose under control and if you do the cookingit should not be too difficult. Personally, I have carbohydrates in moderation (1/4 plate) 4 oz protein, and the rest lots of different kinds of vegetable (not just green leafy veg). Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.