Carpal and cubital

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have sever in my left side and moderate in my right plus carpal tunnel in both wrist I have surgery Dec second on my right side first what should I expect after surgery and is it painfull

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There's something missing from that post - severe what? measured how? what are they proposing to operate on? What symptoms do you actually have?
    • Posted

I have severe cubital syndrome in left elbow and moderate in right elbow.... And have moderate carpal tunnel in both wrist
    • Posted

How do they know it's 'severe' and which of the four things are they planing to operate on?
    • Posted

I had nerve test done and the doctor said it was severe and the surgeon is operating on my right first hes doing wrist and elbow then when that heals up hes doing the same to the other hand
    • Posted

Is he doing the wrist and elbow at the same session? - that's a little unusual but not unknown. Unless you know the actual measurements from the nerve test the best guide to how bad it is is whether there is weakness and wasting of the small muscles in the hand. If you don't have muscle wasting then it is probably not too severe and the carpal tunnel at least should be able to recover relatively quickly. The outlook for ulnar nerve surgery at the elbow is much more uncertain. Neither operation should be very painful - carpal tunnel surgery in most patients requires no more analgesia than simple paracetamol but a few patients do have a hard time with it. What are your most troublesome symptoms?
  • Posted

I was back to work in 3 days I am a hairstylist. I have pictures and video clips I took showing what to expect. Email me and I'll send them. They are a bit graphic with stitches etc. but I'm sure it will help you to see what to expect

• Posted

I dnt think I will b back to work that soon I work on the river on a towwboat.and email is charlievachata@gmail
  • Posted

Hi Charles.  Just sent you a personal message with some tips. smile

• Posted

Following carpal tunnel release surgery, your hand will remain in a bandage for a couple of days and you may need to wear a sling. You should keep your hand raised for 48 hours to help reduce any swelling and stiffness in your fingers.

To help prevent stiffness, gently exercise your fingers, shoulder and elbow. You may be able to start these gentle exercises on the day of your operation.

After having surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), you can use your hand to do light activities that do not cause excessive pain or discomfort. Try to avoid using your hand for more demanding activities until it has completely recovered, which may take several weeks.

The recovery time for open release surgery is usually slightly longer than the recovery time for keyhole surgery. Studies have also shown that there is less pain during the first three months after keyhole surgery compared with open release surgery. However, both methods have proven to be equally effective in treating CTS.

Bottom line - take painkillers (both anti-inflammatory such as nurofen if they are safe for you and paracetemol) to enable you to exercise the hand as soon as possible.

• Posted

Have a ? I had open carpal and cubital tunnel surgery yesterday and man it hurts like hell just wondering I'm having pretty bad pain in my shoulder is that normal and how long will this pain last for these surgerys
    • Posted

the pain in your shoulder is likely to be the gas if you had keyhole surgery?

• Posted

Not sure what that is...all they told me is the did open surgery wish the did the endoscopy or however u spell
    • Posted

keep a log of your shoulder symptoms - because it's just possible that it was put in an awkward position when you were moved under general anaesthetic.
    • Posted

Thank u just wanting to make sure its not something I should worry about but if anyone says cubical tunnel surgery dnt hurt after words there lieing lol I got hit by a car and had my bone go through my leg and rod put in then they had to take it back out and none of that compares to the pain from this surgery and its not even major surgery I have to get my other side done the same and I'm not to sure I want to go through this again lol
  • Posted

I wouldn't rush into the other side until you see how this one turns out. There are many variations on cubital tunnel surgery (the elbow) so what you can expect in the way of local pain depends on exactly what they have done. Severe shoulder pain does not really sound right but 24-48 hours is a bit early to get worried I think. If it persists for a week it probably indicates a problem somewhere. JB
    • Posted

That's true I know its early just didn't know if anyone else had the surgery had the same problem I was wondering how long it takes before they would do the other surgery I cant go back to work until I get the surgery done and healed up I work on the river on a tow boat and they won't let me go back until I am 100% and both surgeries have been done and I can't have any restrictions if I do my work won't let me go back has anyone ever got this surgery and had permanent restrictions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.