Carpal Tunnel surgery did not work so I may try revision surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am looking to have revision surgery as I went to a surgeon today and he told me about a new technique about covering up the nerve & scar tissue  that is causing the tingleing and numbness with a sheath that goes over them.  It's like a big patch.  He said it has only been out for the last 2

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Various forms of revision surgery have been tried over the years. What you really need at this point is a diagnosis for why the surgery has not worked, possibilities include it being the wrong diagnosis to start off with, indadequate division of the transverse carpal ligament, irretrievably severe CTS before the original surgery, surgical injuries to the nerves and a variety of side effects of cutting the ligament. The same surgical solution is not going to work for all of those. Dr J Bland
    • Posted

I am going to have my 3rd nerve conduction test on 2-12.  Have you heard of the patches one doctor might recomend after seeing what the nerve test results are. I don't think that I even had carpal tunnel if so it was just the beginning when I had the surgery almost 3 years ago.
  • Posted

Synthetic patches fat pads and bits of muscle have all been placed between the nerve and the skin in efforts to protect it from everyday trauma. There are also lidocaine patches used on the skin in an attempt to reduce neuropathic pain. Experience of most of these things is so limited that we don't really know how effective they are. If you have all the nerve conduction results come over to carpal tunnel net and discuss them. Dr J Bland

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.