Carpal tunnel surgery recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

im due to have surgery next month but haven't been told roughly how long I will need to be off work. I'm just in the the process of changing jobs too! Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i suppose it will depend what your job is but I have read between 10 days and 6 weeks.i was retired when I had mine done and had my stitches out on day 8 and flew to Dubai the next day to join a cruise around the Middle East. I covered the scar with a plaster on sandy days but otherwise just got on with it. I know a cruise is hardly comparable with going to work but I think it is very variable as we all react differently.

let us know how it goes

Regards Elaine

• Posted

Hi, I have a very hands-on job and need to be 100% fit to go to work. The surgeon asked what job I did and then signed me off for 6 weeks. I thought that this was a bit extreme but after 4-5 weeks I still could not fully close my fist up tight. It was slightly concerning but within the next week, it slowly got better until I could "crush" the air our of my tight fist and sure enough on week 6 I was fully operational again. It is now nearly a year since the operation, my hand and fingers work perfectly and I do not get the pins and needles in my fingers like before. BUT, it is not perfect, I seem to have lost feeling on the inside edge of my fingers, there is occasional tingling, but I do feel that it is 100$ strong again, like before the operation, just not quite perfect yet. The surgeon says it should keep improving for two years and he expects a full recovery in that time.
  • Posted

Hi

Im a teacher who uses her hand roughly either on keyboards or writing on papers

I did my surgery while i was on vacation and went back to work after a month

But i had experienced alot of tingling pain and soreness

The doctor refused to give me a sick leave

I guess it depends on your job and your recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.