Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Questions

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know I have CPS from gaming and I'm trying to treat it, but just one random question:

Does EVERYONE with CPS have worse symptoms at night then in the day? I pretty much only ever have numbness, or tingling, or pain in my fingers during the day after/during gaming.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Can't speak for everyone, but I know my symptoms, pre and post op, are always more profound at night.
  • Posted

I always found mine to be mostly when I used computer mouse...I had my surgery 6 weeks ao and have had nothing but probems ever since...I have now what is called complex regional pain syndrome, had to have a nerve block done and still waiting on pyhsio...
    • Posted

Oh wow, that really sucks. Thanks for answering my question though, so not everyone has the worst symptoms at night rolleyes
    • Posted

Sheila - Kind of funny you mentioned that. The computer mouse was the route of all evil and what actually started my CTS. My surgeon says, "once you have the surgery, you'll never have CTS back again..."  That's very difficult to believe. Computer use for a decade on a surveillance video system started mine and I still can feel the mouse aggravating it...
    • Posted

I still find using the mouse on computer is aggravating, so I don't know if it is because I am having some issues with the surgery or not....hopefully it will get better in time....
  • Posted

Yes, mine was def. worse at night. During the day it was only "pins and needles" and usually whilst cycling, but also had it from using a paint brush for hours at an end! But at night I think I must have slept with my hands under the pillow and I would wake up with MUCH MORE PAIN. My whole hand and wrist would be numb AND painful!!!!

Didn't know if I should hold my hand high or low but the pain would subside and slowly go away.

I had the operation in November 2014 and I can now cycle without pins and needles in that hand....but I have slight loss of touch sensation in the ends of my fingers. Dr said it could take a year to come back! Or never!

• Posted

Hello Fox! Yes, I would say the symptoms were worst at night. Had my surgery done a year ago soon and some symptoms disappeared, but some still remain and new one's have come to. You could forget about the golden One year rule though that says you coud only have CTS for a year after that a surgery won't do. This week I met someone who have had the CTS problem for five years and it gradually went away after surgery, so it can take quite a time. I guess your tendons become swollen because of the gaming, but the surgery is just a way to hopefully get rid of the symptoms. The most important part is to know how you should act or if there is some treatment to let the tendons become normal again? Have they said anything about that?
    • Posted

Just like to say, that after having my right hand done, I am in no rush to get my left hand done! It doesn't cure everything, I no longer get "pins and needles" riding my bike (just 5 mile fun rides, nothing too strenuous), but my hand doesn't feel like mine some days. I have exchanged occasional pins and needles for a hand that is sometimes numb and always less sensative. My left still gets pins and needles, but that is all, my right (after op.) has a range of weird side effects to the surgery. Only have it done if you are in lots of pain. I am willing to exercise my left hand and wrist lots more instead of surgery.
  • Posted

Yes the night is the worst as your hand is at rest..ive found wearing a brace at night helps..im waiting now for the op..the pain I can only describe is like between numbness burning and pins and needles mixed with cramp like pains

Dorothy

• Posted

I get a lot of symptoms during the day. My hands will go numb driving frequently and I have trouble picking little items up and can't write more than a few sentences without my hand seizing up. Nighttime, both hands will go numb.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.