carpel tunnel post op 7 weeks and still in pain!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Dear Friends

I had carpel tunnel surgery 7 weeks ago and I feel that my wrist and arm

are worse now than before the surgery.

First 2 days I cried almost nonstop with the pain.

I am suppose to get the other wrist done and now I don't want to get it

done. I also have broken sleep as I wake up alot.

I have had 5 other surgeries years ago but this was unbearable.

My wrist is painful all the time and I can't lift the kettle yet among other

tasks. I have also done exercises.

I have however tried advice from other people like desensitising the scar

by rubbing the hand textured fabrics etc and massaging. This has helped alittle but the pain is still intense.

My wrist feels burning, sharp pains and muscle weakness in hand and arm

Has any one had these problems and does it get better with time.

God bless

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My one main question is whether you have had physical therapy and, if not, whether you can get it. I don't think I would have recovered as well as I did without it and since I didn't have it last week, I notice my hand is stiffer than it was. My surgery was also about 7 weeks ago and I have much less pain than before--I'm sorry you are still having it.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your message I am not sure if I can getphysiotherapy through my doctor I don't think its available on

the nhs. I can't go through with surgery on the other hand now.

I have burning soreness and swelling inside the hand, the scarhas healed really well but the pain is still very bad and I still

can't do much yet.

Doctors advice, was take a pain medication when necessary.

I only take a pain relief when I am tired and need to sleep but

would rather not take anything.

God bless

Andie

• Posted

My surgeon refuses to let me go to physio, so I've looked up what I need online and I've been doing it myself.  Little by little I'm seeing improvements.  I'm guessing it will be 6 or more months before my hand is really usable again. 
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well......I had mine done just over 2 weeks ago and I know how you feel,  I have never cried so much as what I gave done since then.  I am still waking up throughout the night. My hand is so sore and it was very bruised and swollen ( going down now) I get a lot of jolts and pains in hand / wrist and the scar area stings on and off for periods throughout the day. I had my stitches out yesterday which was agony. I have had so many pain killers - and I am someone who usually has 2 paracetamol in a year! I can't hold a kettle - or anything else, I struggle to "hold" up my mobile with my right whilst texting with my left . 8th fact, can't do pretty much anything with it. I am due to go back to consultant on 15th and then my left hand on Jan 6th and quite honestly just don't know how will do that ( anesthetic wouldn't take and they had to keep topping up with more injections as I could feel everything) . I know everyone's different and everyone's experiences are different and even pain thresholds are different but it does seem that some people it doesn't seem to go as well with and there is a lot of nerve pain etc afterwards. You are doing better than I am - the most I can do is gently stroke my fingers on top of the dressing - and that's sore ! Have you got arrangements to go back and see the consultant who did it. I hope when I go to discuss the anesthetic ( going to ask for an arm nerve block this time ) and also discuss pain etc. Obe 9th to ladies who posted on this sie set up a carpel tunnel surgery Facebook page which you might want to look at as lots of stories and hints and also people who can support each other through the good and bad bits.

Take care 

• Posted

Rachel,

Thank you so much for your message I am so so sorry that

your feeling so bad but I suppose it just takes time I am due to get my left hand done but I have cancelled that one as I can't

go through that pain again. I was just like you after 2 weeks

but I am still taking pain killers which I don't like taking.

My doctor thinks that maybe I have over used my hand and

told me to rest but exercise my hand.

I still can't get my hand comfortable at night. But I have to say that there are alot of people with the same problems as we do.

Makes me wonder if they should do everyone using keyhole

surgery instead of open surgery which I have been told key

hole surgery is better for quicker recovery and more precise

but I need to ask the consultant about that.

I will pray for you rachel that your hand heals properly.

God bless

Andie

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time.  I had my surgery on 22 Sept.  I think it does take a long time to heal for a number of people.  I have been having physio for the last month which has helped a lot but I still have a lot of scar tissue but not as much pain.  I find the cica gel patch I wear at night really helps.  Have you gone back to your surgeon?  I would ask what they suggest in terms of pain relief and management.  I too need my other hand done but I will not contemplate it until my right hand is completely healed, which may take a year.  All the best to you.
    • Posted

Dear Hilary

Thank you so much for your message I am so surprised that

so many people have all these problems after surgery becausethe Doctors make it sound like its absolutely nothing and they

don't give you correct details of whats involved.

I had a terrible experience from the second I walked into the

hospital until now. I passed out half an hour after stitches

were taken out. Lots of things were not right.

But I pray that everyone that has had this surgery that God will heal them.I have been taking Dihydracodeine, my doctor says

they are strong but they did not work that well.

I will pray for your healing hilary.

God bless

Andie

• Posted

I agree Andie, my surgeon made very light of it before I had the op - in her words, no big deal, and I was given no information that there might be complications.  I was told everything would be healed in 2 weeks.  When I mentioned this after the surgery she said that 10% of patients have problems afterwards but that with physiotherapy it does remedy the situation although it can take up to a year.  The physiotherapy has definitely helped the pain but I wonder if the scar tissue will ever go - the heel of my hand is still like a rock.  All the best.  Hillary
  • Posted

Hi Andie - I feel your pain. Literallly.  Try not to get too discouraged.  I'm now a month and a half after surgery and since I've been working physio on my own I'm starting to see some improvement.  I haven't gotten any help from my surgeon at all.  I also bought a soft hand/wrist brace that I wear most of the time and it seems to help some.  Also, if you can find them (I found mine at a pet store) get some squishable balls and bars that have texture to them.  Gently manipulate them between both hands, putting pressure on the healing hand and it will help desensitise the nerves that are totally on edge right now.  It hurts, but it hurts less as you do it more.  I also recommend doing something called ice-dipping.  A bowl of ice water and slowly dipping the hand in and out over a period of about a half an hour at a time.  It all helps desensitise the tender nerves and muscles.  Deep massage using your thumb from the good hand into the area of the pain your feeling will also help some.  Again, it will hurt at the beginning but get better as you go along.  Sadly this doesn't happen overnight and it will take time.  I'm learning to be more patient as I go.  Do NOT lift anything heavier than about 3-5 lbs for at least 2-3 months.  You do not want to injure anything inside (tendons, muscles) while healing.  Scar pads help as well.  You should be able to get them at Boots or another chemist. If not, you can also get them on Amazon. 

Please reach out to us as you move forward.  We are all here to support each other and we've all experienced the pillar pain.  It's not easy but I feel it will get better since I'm seeing some improvement. 

I too, have chosen not to do the second hand, but I have found some good books on healing the carpal tunnel in the other hand without surgery.  I wish I had found those books before I did the first one.  Not sure how that's working out yet, but I have to keep trying.

God bless, good luck and please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Jacqui

• Posted

i had my surgery nov 19th.. the stiches are out and there is now dry skin, have been applying vit E oil. My fingers are still swollen and have a weird cold sensation below my pinky finger, also, my hand stays cold.. i am still expericing shooting pains in my palm.. i wear my brace at night.. my index finger is still sore feeling.. i will be going back to work jan 6th.. hope i can do all the typing and writing with out alot of pain..
    • Posted

I'm glad you're taking some solid time off. I went back to work four days after surgery and then ended up having to go back on medical leave two days later.  It was a mess. 

For the cold feeling and the index finger pain I would call the surgeon to double check since carpal tunnel doesn't affect the index finger at all.  There might be something else at play there and your hand shouldnt be cold all the time.

You will have some pain for some time yet.  I had my surgery on October 22 and I'm finally now starting to feel better and gain strength in that hand.  I also have severe arthritis so I've been dealing with that challenge as well. 

The pain you're experiencing is called pillar pain. You can Google it and you'll see some explanations. It takes time to run it's course and while I thought it would never go away I'm finally finding some relief now.

You should be able to start some light physical therapy now. I would get a squeezable ball with texture (I bought a dog toy ball that's textured) and I squeeze it gently, roll it back and forth under my hand and wrist.  Also try gently rubbing your hand on different textured items throughout the day.  It all helps desensitize the nerves that are on edge right now.  It's frustrating and takes time.  You can also do what's called "ice dipping".  A quick dip in ice water 4-5 times a day for about a 10 count period of time will also help with the desenstizing process.  As your surgeon allows, you can start more physical therapy but the textured ball has honestly been my savior. I feel like that is really what has taken me the farthest.  My surgeon was of no help at all after surgery and he refused to send me for PT so I was on my own. I read a lot of information and did almost everything because I was desperate to be free of the pain and gain the use of my hand again. 

I just realized I outlined much of this in my last post but keep doing it.  I know it feels like it's going to be like this forever, but it will get better as long as you're working through the exercises. 

Please keep us posted.  I will keep you in my thoughts.  smile 

Hugs

Jacqui

• Posted

Andie, just found this site. 8 weeks ago today had surgery on left hand. A lot of the same problems you are having. Saw doctor this morning. Thumb and forfinger real numb since surgery. she said may not go away. Starting therapy next week. hope it gets better. will post more later. Good luck. hope you get better.
  • Posted

Hi Andie

I had surgery on my right hand on 6/16/16. I have the pain you are discerning

also plus my hand is very swollen and I have absolutely no feeling in my fingers.

I am also doing exercises that I cry the whole time I am doing them which is almost

All day long. As of now I have no improvement. I was going to a physical therapist before surgery

For different problem but he worked on my hand for me. It was very sore the

Next day but the next day it was amazing. It may be a option for you. Praying for you!

• Posted

Yes I went through the same thing.  My personal physician finally gave me Gabapetin which calme it down.  He said it was sensory pain (nerve).  I am 7 months postop and the first 4 months were hell on earth.  I too had other surgeries and this was a nightmare.  Worse part is the surgeons won't believe you are still in pain and likely won't prescribe you any pain relief.  My wrist hurt SO bad I literally stayed in bed for 4 months since it hurt worse when I moved.  The good news is mine is much better now.  I don't know if it's the gabapentin or just the passage of 7 months.  But it finally stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.