cast off after surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had a donor graft and reconstruction surgery after a complete rupture to Achilles tendon ,I'm having my cast off on Friday I'm excited but also worried about taking first steps in a air boot ,does it hurt ,does your wound pull will I need crutches ,any info would be great thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i was immediately placed in a boot after i was in an plaster cast and dont walk in the boot immediately you might want crutches. youll feel a slight pull but its all good in the hood! hope all goes well! -alex❤️
  • Posted

Massive shock to the system, the moment the nurse tells you to stand up and do a few steps i found it rather difficult. I used my crutches the first few days whilst i got use to the balancing with the airboot. slight pain on the heel for me which was from the skin streching as it been so long. Felt like i couldnt walk at all but after a couple weeks i was walking about with no issue. Good luck Mary! x
  • Posted

All sounds very positive thank you that's put my mind at rest
  • Posted

Just a quick update ,I had my cast removed yesterday and went into the airboot with 2 wedges ,I have to say the pain was incredible and still is ,my tendon is so stiff and I can feel every stretch ,I was totally panic stricken and had a major melt down ,I hoping the physio will reasure me because at the moment I feel so low

• Posted

Mary i felt the same, just when your thinking positive knowing your on to the next step of your recovery your put in boot and its a massive shock. It does hurt at first your tendon and skin is streching out. After a few days the pain stopped with me. I took the boot off when watching telly and for bed, when i did this i put my leg in the air and started to bend my foot/toes towards me ever so slighty to try and help the process as i was advised. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Thanks jordidude ,thank god things have eased up a bit been slowly doing stretches had to look on line what to do as I haven't had pt yet ,I can walk now with crutches and airboot but cannot take any real weight on it ,but its a start ,so glad I found this forum its been a god send ,thank you everyone x
    • Posted

I didn't use my crutches much after the first few days as i was advised to put all my weight on it. Is strange how every doctor is different. Glad its eased down Mary. take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.